No Name Description
N/A

The manor’s castle was built in the middle of the 18th century (belonging to the noble kin of baron Medem) as a huntsmen castle. Later, in the 19th century, it was rebuilt by adding a second floor. The kitchen was situated in the vaulted basements of the castle and when the food was ready, it was brought upstairs in the elevator. The gantry entrance of the castle (late baroque) and marble buttons above it picturing the coat of amrs of the union of Medem and Keizerling noble kins, is one of the most valuable example of arts monuments of the 18th century. To this day there are various  outhouses preserved- a  threshing barn, a granary and a smithy, as well as the park. In front of the castle one can see a magnificent oak, which was supposedly planted by K.Ulmanis. From 1837 the manor’s castle has also served as a place for Vilce primary school. 

N/A

The first mention of Pēterupe Rectory goes back to the late 17th century. The Manor Park and the buildings have partially survived to the present day, including a linden alley at the end of Smilšu Street, planted by the pastor Jānis Neilands in 1879 and the grand oak planted by Johann Wilhelm Knierim in 1869. After the fire of 1908, the Rectory was restored and partially rebuilt. In Soviet times, the property was removed from the parish and the house was named “Līgotnes”. During German times the Rectory was occupied by legionnaires. After the war, the building of the Rectory was turned into a hospital, then into a secondary school and later it was transformed into a block of flats for teachers. Now the building again belongs to the parish and it is inhabited by a priest of the parish and his family. 

N/A

One of the largest castles in Kurzeme, this building has been preserved in fairly good shape.  Work on its began in the mid-13th century, and it was commissioned by the heads of the Dome Cathedral in Rīga.  In 1434, the estate was bought by the bishop of Kurzeme.  The Maidel and Osten-Sacken dynasties owned it from the 16th to the 20th century.  The Dundaga Castle burned down twice and has been rebuilt many times.  The last reconstruction was in 1905, after the castle was burned down during the revolution.  Of interest on both sides of the castle’s door are stone carvings of a knight and a bishop.  In recent years, the hotel in the castle has been renovated, as has the second floor hallway and a terrace that is popular for weddings.  There are many legends about the castle, including one about a wedding of elves and another about the Green Lady.  Today the building houses the Dundaga School of Music and Art, a hotel, party rooms, the Dundaga Tourism Information Centre and various exhibitions.  It is worth finding a guide to tour the castle.  Groups of tourists can also order tastings of local foods.

N/A

Kīdevas muiža rakstos ir minēta 1614. g., taču pašreiz redzamā divstāvu kungu māja, ir celta 19. gs. beigās. Ēkas sienas ir klātas ar koka šķindeļiem, kas viens otru pārklāj kā zivs zvīņas. Šāds kungu mājas sienu pārklājums Igaunijas mērogā ir unikāls. Laikā no 1919. – 1951. g. tajā atradās skola. Blakus muižai atrodas neliels parks. Diemžēl turpat pusgadsimtu ilgās pamestības rezultātā ēkas atrodas ļoti kritiskā stāvoklī. Tas ir arī pietiekams apmeklējuma iemesls.

N/A

Dabiskā zemesragā starp Lielo un Mazo Ludzas ezeru 14. gs. beigās slejās seno latgaļu koka pils, kuras vietā Livonijas ordenis uzcēla Latgales varenāko mūra pili. Tā bija iespaidīga trīsstāvu celtne kvadrāta formā ar sešiem torņiem, trīs vārtiem un divām priekšpilīm. Pēc krievu iebrukuma Latgalē 1481. g., Ludzas pili atjaunoja 1525. g. 1654. g. to atkal izposta Krievijas cara Alekseja Mihailoviča karaspēks. Jau 18. gs. no pils bija palikušas tikai drupas, kas arī mūsdienās ir ļoti iespaidīgas un ainaviskas (ar skatu uz Lielo Ludzas ezeru un baznīcu torņiem).

N/A

The Castle is a theme park depicting life of the 16th C stronghold where families can spend an exciting day as soldiers and noble knights. There is horse riding, bow and crossbow shooting, you can practise carpentry and blacksmith skills, mint coins, make gold and gunpowder. Facilities include a wine cellar, torture chamber, death room, medieval brothel, astronomy room, barber and alchemist workshops. The Schenkenberg Tavern menu has dishes cooked to medieval recipes.

N/A

The mansion of Uue-Varbla Manor houses the local history museum which presents local life from the early 20th C and history of Varbla municipality. There is a handicraft workshop in the museum, while old tools and machinery are exhibited in the granary. The mansion in early Classicist style from 1797 is an attraction in itself. Traditional handicraft fairs are held in the grounds in July every summer.

N/A

The Preiļi Estate is in the southern part of Preiļi. During the Soviet era, the mansion was home to a variety of institutions. A fire burned much of the upper part of the building in 1978. The mansion was never restored, and it can only be viewed from the outside. Around it, however, is one of Latvia’s most outstanding landscape parks (mid-19th century). Irēna Kjarkuža offers interesting tours of the state, with interesting legends and songs in the Lettigalian language.

N/A

The New Sigulda Castle was built between 1878 and 1881 for Prince Kropotkin.  Its tower was extended in 1937.  From 1923 until 1940, the building was known as the Writers Castle, and it was managed by the Latvian Press Association.  During the Soviet era, a cardiology sanatorium was housed there.  In 1993, the Sigulda City Council took over the castle, and since 2003 it has been home to the Sigulda Administrative District Council.  The wooden residential building (mid-19th century) in which the Kropotkin family lived still survives, as do the granary (late 18th or early 19th century), the gardener's house (19th century), and the stone wall (19th century).  The New Sigulda Castle is part of the historical centre of the Sigulda, Turaida and Krimulda complex, as are the ruins of the Sigulda Castle and the Krimulda Castle, the Krimulda Estate and the Turaida Castle.

N/A

Work on the Valmiera Castle began in 1283.  The castle was burned down in 1702 during the Great Northern War, and the city’s walls were torn down in the late 17th century.  Ruins of the castle and remnants of other Medieval fortifications have been preserved.

 

N/A

Vieta, ko nekādi nevar uzskatīt par tūrisma objektu, bet tajā pat laikā tas ir Latvijas mērogā nozīmīgs kultūras un vēstures piemineklis, ko nevar nepieminēt! Laikā no 1923. – 1943. gadam muižas pilī atradās Latvijā zināmākā mājturības skola, kurā mācījās izslavētās kaucmindietes! Tagad muižas pils ir pamesta, avārijas stāvoklī un apskatāma tikai no ārpuses un „pa gabalu”. Ap 1780. gadu celtā pils, kas 1909. – 1912. g. tika pārbūvēta pusloka būvapjomā, ir Latvijai diezgan unikāls arhitektūras paraugs.

N/A

Muiža rakstos pirmoreiz minēta 17. gs. sākumā, taču klasicisma stilā celtās pils veidols tapis 1835. gadā. Penijē muižas būtisks likteņa pavērsiens (atšķirībā no daudzām citām muižām) bija apstāklis, ka tajā izveidoja Matsalu rezervāta (pirms nacionālā parka izveides) apmeklētāju centru. 2000. gadā muižas pili restaurēja un tajā ierīkoja nelielu ekspozīciju. Apmeklētāju centrs te pastāv joprojām, tādēļ šeit var iegūt nepieciešamo informāciju. No ārpuses var apskatīt arī citas muižas saimniecības ēkas.

N/A

The Castle was built beside the Põltsamaa River in the 13th C and became the residence of Duke Magnus, King of Livonia in the 16th C. In the castle yard you find the tourist information centre, local history museum, wine cellar, Estonian Press Museum, art gallery, ceramic and handicraft workshop.
Põltsamaa has a fabulous Rose Garden, where tours can be booked to learn more about roses, legends and history of rose growing.

N/A

The construction of the state began in the early 20th century.  The mansion was built of bricks and fieldstones between 1905 and 1911 in the styles of Historicism and Art Nouveau.  The estate was owned by engineer and professor Stanislav Kerbedz from St Petersburg, the first Russian engineer to develop principles for the architectonic aspects of bridges.  These were used during the latter half of the 19th century, and Kerbedz led the construction of the Nikolayev bridge across the Neva River in St Petersburg.  Kerbedz’s wife, Yevgenia, was well known as a lover of art, and she brought various art objects to the estate from Italy.  The Lūznava Estate was a popular place for gatherings of artists during the summers.  Among those to visit was the distinguished Lithuanian painter and composer Mikalojus Čiurlionis.  The estate is surrounded by a 23.7 ha landscape park with a system of ponds.  Near the estate is a statue of the Madonna, which was carved by an unknown Italian artist.  The statue was damaged and thrown into a pond during World War II, but it was restored in 1991.  Reconstruction of the main building of the estate was complete in 2015, and today it is a modern and international centre for environmental education and the arts.

N/A

Palmse Manor is known to be considered as one of the most beautiful manors in Estonia. The manor has been mentioned first in 1510 as a property of women's monastery. In later centuries it belonged to Palenu family. Manor was built in 1697 but it was made the way we see it nowadays in 18th century. It has been renovated one more time in 1970-1980's. Around the building is a big and scenic park with several ponds. Inside the manor you can become familiar with its interior and visit the basement as well as buy Estonian wine.

N/A

The Naukšēni People’s Museum, where we tell intelligent people about those who were born at the NAUKŠĒNI DISCO, arrived here and stayed here.  We’ll look at how they talk, sing, think and love.

N/A

The complex dates back to the 17th and 18th century, when a fortress was replaced by a mansion and other buildings.  The rectangular yard that is in the centre of the state is surrounded by the mansion, two granaries with columns that were built opposite one another, a stable and a wheelhouse.  The stable and wheelhouse, the bell tower and the gate create the most impressive part of the buildings.  Bells were rung because of religious rituals, but also to inform people at the estate about everyday issues.  The silhouette of the building is reminiscent of cloisters, city halls and churches that were common in Europe in the 18th century.  In 1780, the estate was taken over by the family of Karl Otto von Löwenstern, and the mansion can only be viewed from the outside.  There is a hiking trail near the estate.

N/A

Atrodas Taurenē, Gaujas labajā krastā. Muižas apbūve, kurā ietilpst pils (19. gs. 80. gadi, arhitekts – R. G. Šmēlings, historisma un neoklasicisma stils), senie alus pagrabi, klēts, vecā pils un parks, veidojies 19. - 20. gs. Šobrīd muižas pilī atrodas Taurenes pagasta pārvalde un kultūras nams. Muižas kompleksā ietilpst ēka, kurā atrodas Vecpiebalgas novada tūrisma informācijas punkts un Taurenes novadpētniecības ekspozīcija (senajā ledus pagrabā). Parkā (ziemeļos no pils) uzmeklējams piemiņas akmens, kas veltīts komunistiskā terora upuriem. Pie Nēķena muižas sākās 0,4 km garā Cieres dabas taka, kas iepazīstina ar Gaujas krastu mitrājiem.

N/A

On the left bank of the ancient Gauja River valley, between the Paparžu ravine and the ravine along which the Sigulda-Turaida road passes through the valley there are the ruins of a castle built by the Order of the Brethren of the Sword.  Construction on the castle began in 1207, and three decades later, in 1236, the castle was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order.  The Sigulda Castle suffered much damage during wars in the late 16th and early 17th century.  During the Great Northern War, it was burned down and never restored.  What is there today is the south-western segment of the castle's convent building, as well as the tower of the main gate.  Beyond that is the internal forecastle, where there is an open-air stage for the annual Sigulda Opera Music Festival and other public events.  There are also impressive views of the ancient Gauja River valley, Krimulda and Turaida.  Reconstruction of the ruins is currently ongoing, and after the work is completed a second tower on the left side of the stage will be available to visitors.  The plan is to install crossings around the walls of the convent building.  Presently the ruins are available on a 24/7 basis and free of charge, but after the restorations are completed in 2012, admission will be charged.

N/A

The Pilkalne Estate is in a remote location on the border of Latvia and Lithuania, 5 km to the Southwest of Nereta. Lovers of history certain must visit this estate. Why? One reason is that the grain kiln of the estate, which is gradually being restored, and the grain drying stove, a few wooden parts of which have been preserved, are unique in Latvia. The stable and servants’ home have also survived and are populated today. The buildings were built in the 18th century. The owner can tell you stories about interesting aspects of this location’s history.