No Name Description
N/A

The mansion of Uue-Varbla Manor houses the local history museum which presents local life from the early 20th C and history of Varbla municipality. There is a handicraft workshop in the museum, while old tools and machinery are exhibited in the granary. The mansion in early Classicist style from 1797 is an attraction in itself. Traditional handicraft fairs are held in the grounds in July every summer.

N/A

Muižas ēka tikusi restaurēta, taču tā celta 1732. gadā. Muižas kompleksu veido – kungu māja, bijušās skolas ēka, pārvaldnieka māja, klēts, saimniecības ēka, kā arī tējas namiņš, kas atrodas senajā ozolu parkā, no kura takas tālāk aizvijas uz Meža parku. Ungurmuižas  iekštelpās ir grezni zīmējumi (grenadieri, ziedu motīvi, zīmētas tapetes, drapēri, ainas no barona karagājieniem un ceļojumiem) kuru autors ir Limbažu gleznotājs Georgs Dītrihs Hinšs. Ungurmuižā par seno auru rūpējas katrs gleznojums, zīmējums un katrs nostūris.

N/A

Šī vairāk ir uzskatāma par vēsturisku vietu, nekā tūrisma objektu, jo muižas pils atrodas avārijas stāvoklī un apskatāma no ārpuses! Mūsdienās redzamais muižas komplekss ir veidojies 19. - 20. gs. mijā, bet muižas pils (vēlīnais klasicisms) - 19. gs. pirmajā pusē. Vēlāk tai piebūvēja neobarokālus torņus abos ēkas galos. Vienā no tiem atradās kapela, otrā – bibliotēka. 19. gs. tika uzsākta ainavu parka un dendrārija izveide. 19. gs. beigās pilī norisinājās plaši remontdarbi, un tās īpašnieki – Kerbedzu dzimta ēku līdz pat 1. pasaules karam atvēlēja māksliniekiem. No 1920. - 1975. g. muižā darbojās pamatskola, tad ēkas kā noliktavu izmantoja kolhozs.

N/A

The Rundāle Castle is known as Latvia’s true jewel of Baroque and Rococo architecture, and it is certainly the country’s most important historical monument in relation to those two styles. The castle was at first the summer residence of the duke of Courland, Ernst Johan Byron (1690-1772), and it was designed by the Italian architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli. There is a museum in the castle, and the restored Baroque French garden is the largest garden of its type in the Baltic States. +371-6396-2197, 2649-9151. The White House (the former servants’ house) offers dining.

N/A

Ruins of a Livonian Order castle tower atop a steep hill alongside the Pärnu-Valga highway in Helme. The castle changed hands from Germans to Russians and Lithuanians to Swedes who eventually destroyed it in 1658. The spring at the foot of the hill is believed to cure seven diseases.
North from the ruins are Helme caves which local people have also called the Hell. The village also has a local history museum.

N/A

On the left bank of the ancient Gauja River valley, between the Paparžu ravine and the ravine along which the Sigulda-Turaida road passes through the valley there are the ruins of a castle built by the Order of the Brethren of the Sword.  Construction on the castle began in 1207, and three decades later, in 1236, the castle was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order.  The Sigulda Castle suffered much damage during wars in the late 16th and early 17th century.  During the Great Northern War, it was burned down and never restored.  What is there today is the south-western segment of the castle's convent building, as well as the tower of the main gate.  Beyond that is the internal forecastle, where there is an open-air stage for the annual Sigulda Opera Music Festival and other public events.  There are also impressive views of the ancient Gauja River valley, Krimulda and Turaida.  Reconstruction of the ruins is currently ongoing, and after the work is completed a second tower on the left side of the stage will be available to visitors.  The plan is to install crossings around the walls of the convent building.  Presently the ruins are available on a 24/7 basis and free of charge, but after the restorations are completed in 2012, admission will be charged.

N/A

Before the stone Turaida Castle was built beginning in 1214, there was a wooden castle there that had been built by the Livs.  The Turaida Castle was owned by the bishop of Rīga.  It remained in place until 1776, when it burned down.  The initial entrance to the castle's main tower was 9 m above ground, and in 1936, a viewing platform was installed at a height of 27 metres.  There is no other view in Latvia that is like the one from the Turaida Castle!  Restoration work at the castle began in 1953, when the upper level of the tower was restored and a roof was installed.  Also restored was the former granary, which was home to an exhibition about the Sigulda region, along with the semi-circular tower and the southern segment of the castle complex, complete with the full reconstruction of its historical interior.  Archaeological work was done around the castle between 1976 and 2001, and this led to the restoration of a large part of the complex.  The castle now contains a museum exhibition related to the historical events of the surrounding area.  The Turaida Castle is in the Turaida Museum Reserve (see above).

N/A

The Bebrene Estate features an ensemble of Baroque buildings from the late 19th and early 20th century. The dominant building is the mansion of Count Plater-Sieberg, which was built in 1896 after a design by the architect L.J.L. Marconi. It is home to the Bebrene High School today. Surviving to the present day are the ornate gate and the unusual stone fence of the estate. The regular-design park which surrounds the mansion features a wealth of foreign trees.

N/A

Atrodas Taurenē, Gaujas labajā krastā. Muižas apbūve, kurā ietilpst pils (19. gs. 80. gadi, arhitekts – R. G. Šmēlings, historisma un neoklasicisma stils), senie alus pagrabi, klēts, vecā pils un parks, veidojies 19. - 20. gs. Šobrīd muižas pilī atrodas Taurenes pagasta pārvalde un kultūras nams. Muižas kompleksā ietilpst ēka, kurā atrodas Vecpiebalgas novada tūrisma informācijas punkts un Taurenes novadpētniecības ekspozīcija (senajā ledus pagrabā). Parkā (ziemeļos no pils) uzmeklējams piemiņas akmens, kas veltīts komunistiskā terora upuriem. Pie Nēķena muižas sākās 0,4 km garā Cieres dabas taka, kas iepazīstina ar Gaujas krastu mitrājiem.

N/A

The New Cēsis Castle (Pils Square 9) was built in 1777 as a residence for Karl Eberhard von Zievers, and it is home to the Cēsis Museum of History and Art, which was opened in 1949.  The building has a neo-Gothic tower decorated with curved arcades and window apertures.  It is one of the first examples of eclecticism in Latvian architecture.  Beginning in 2012, the museum will feature a modern exhibition under the title "Latvia: Symbol of Latvian History."  This will be an interactive exhibition featuring the history of Cēsis and its environs since the era of the Vendians and up to the early 20th century.  There will be sections on the history of the Latvian flag, the lives of the Zievers dynasty, and the family's great contributions toward the development of Cēsis.  The third and fourth floors of the castle are dedicated to temporary exhibitions, and there is a special room there for families and children.  The tower of the castle offers the best view of the Cēsis Castle ruins, the old town, and St John's Lutheran church.

N/A
Bikovas Manor. The name of this manor is listed in the chronicle since the 17th century. You should see the manor house and the park where you can find a stone chapel that was built in 1820, servant’s house, several household buildings and stablings. After the fire of 1905, the building was reconstructed and the second floor was built. Since 1937, the manor is serving as Gaigalava Secondary school. According to the legend, there are secret passages that lead to the church and the cemetery. The building is the architectural monument of local importance.
N/A

Ļoti savdabīga vieta, ko nekādi nevar dēvēt par tūrisma objektu. Vidsmuiža bija viena no Latgales lielākajām muižām, kuras dominante bija 18. gs. celtā un vēlāk pārbūvētā grāfu Borhu muižas kungu māja. Tagad redzamais muižas kompleksa veidols tapis 19. gs. otrajā pusē. Tajā ietilpst kūtis, staļļi, kalpu māja, klētis, sarga mājiņas, kas izvietotas ap parādes pagalmu. Pēdējais tagad ir stipri aizaudzis. Vecākā saimniecības ēka ir mūra klēts (iespaidīga!), ko cēla 18. gs. Regulāra plānojuma muižas parku veidoja 18. gs. franču dārzu stilā. Kungu māja ir „pamesta” un apskatāma tikai no ārpuses.

N/A

Das im 18. – 19. Jh entstandene Ensemble von Gutshofsgebäuden mit Museum Audru und Spiritusfabrik.

N/A

The Castle of the Livonian Order in Ventspils was first listed in documents in the late 13th century, and despite damaging wars, it has maintained its essence as a castle to this very day and only with minimal changes. The castle is also known as the oldest Medieval fortress in Latvia. Today it is home to a modern museum.

N/A

This beautiful castle (1797-1802) is seen as the most brilliant example of Classicism in Latvian architecture.  It, like the Eleja Castle, was designed by the architect of the royal court in Russia, Giacomo Antonio Domenico Quarenghi and the architect Johann Georg Adam Berlitz.  The ornate interior was unique for Kurzeme at the time when the castle was built.  Empress Catherine II gifted the castle to Charlotte von Lieven (1742-1828) after Charlotte served as governess for the empress’ grandchildren.  An agricultural school operated in the building from 1921 until 1941, and it was very much damaged and pillaged during World War II.  Restoration began later, when the Mežotne experimental selection station was housed in it.  The lovely building houses a hotel and can be toured.  Around the castle, which is on the banks of the Lielupe River, there is one of the most beautiful English-type gardens in Latvia – perfect for a stroll.

N/A

Atrodas 0,9 km ziemeļrietumos no Dzērbenes centra. Tagadējais muižas komplekss veidojies 14. gs. celtās un 1577. g. nopostītās mūra pils vietā. Muižas pils (18. gs. beigas, klasicisma stils) savā pastāvēšanas laikā piedzīvojusi vairākkārtīgu nopostīšanu (1905. g., Pirmajā pasaules karā) un tai sekojošu atjaunotni. 19. gs. beigās tai tapa piebūve – iespaidīgs četrstūru neogotikas stila tornis. Laikā no 1927. - 1975. g. pilī darbojās lauksaimniecības skola, tagad - Dzērbenes pagasta pārvalde, Tautas nams un mūzikas skola. Pili ieskauj parks ar septiņu dīķu kaskādi. No kādreiz iespaidīgā laukakmeņu žoga saglabājušies vien pils vārtu stabi. Dažādā stāvoklī (arī avārijas) atrodas citas muižas ēkas. 2010. gadā tika veikta pils iekštelpu un ārējās fasādes restaurācija. Iepriekš piesakoties, tiek piedāvāta gida vadīta ekskursija un piedzīvojums muižā iekārtotajā spoku kambarī.

N/A

Der Stützpunkt des Livländischen Ordens. Der Bau der Burg war eine Strafe für Ortsbewohner. Die Burg wurde nach dem Befehl des Dänischen Königs Frederik der II 1576 vernichtet.

N/A

The complex dates back to the 17th and 18th century, when a fortress was replaced by a mansion and other buildings.  The rectangular yard that is in the centre of the state is surrounded by the mansion, two granaries with columns that were built opposite one another, a stable and a wheelhouse.  The stable and wheelhouse, the bell tower and the gate create the most impressive part of the buildings.  Bells were rung because of religious rituals, but also to inform people at the estate about everyday issues.  The silhouette of the building is reminiscent of cloisters, city halls and churches that were common in Europe in the 18th century.  In 1780, the estate was taken over by the family of Karl Otto von Löwenstern, and the mansion can only be viewed from the outside.  There is a hiking trail near the estate.

N/A

Meklējama Skaistkalnes dienviddaļā, Mēmeles labajā krastā, Skolas ielā 5. Vietvārds Šēnberga tulkojums no vācu valodas nozīmē „Skaistais kalns”. No sarkanajiem ķieģeļiem celtā divstāvu muižas pils (historisma stils) tapusi ap 1894. g. (arhitekts Pauls Makss Berči). Ēkā ir saglabājušies dekoratīvās apdares elementi un iespaidīgs kamīns (vienīgais tāds Latvijā), uz kura atainota dzimtbūšanas atcelšanu Latvijā. Kamīnzālē atrodas pirms četriem gadiem atjaunotais griestu plafons. Muižas pilī atrodas Skaistkalnes vidusskola. Muižu ietver parks, kurā atrodas citas ar muižu saistītās ēkas.

N/A

There are several buildings from the estate that survive to the present day and were built by the Plater dynasty of noblemen.  The old mansion that is on the side of the Count Plater Street was built in 1759 on the banks of the Jāņupīte River.  The Baroque building was designed by an architect from Venice, Antonio Parazzo.  Later the mansion was rebuilt, and after a new castle was erected, the Plater family spent its summers on the first floor of the old building.  The second and third floors had a library with some 20,000 books.  The noblemen managed to move most of the contents of the library to safer locations during World War I, when the library as such was destroyed.  Work on the new castle of the Krāslava Estate (on the upper part of the Daugava River Valley) began in 1756 (architect Domenico Parazzo).  Initially it was in the Baroque style, but reconstruction at the turn of the 18th century involved Classicism.  Unique Rococo wall paintings with views of Rome have been discovered in the building.  These were based on samples from castles in Poland and were painted during the 1760s and 1770.  A high school used the new castle until the 1970s.  Then the building was abandoned and gradually turned into a ruin.  More recently there has been major renovation of the castle’s façade, and it now has a good appearance.  Surrounding the structure is a romantic landscape park that dates back to the mid-18th century.  It is on the hillocks of the Daugava River Valley and the valleys that cross it.  An artificial grotto has been restored, and a statue of a lion stands guard over the site.  The stairway has been placed in its historical location, and the park features pathways and a yard.