| No | Name | Description |
|---|---|---|
|
Kemeri (Kemmer) are mentioned in the literature sources for the first time in 1561. In the second half of the 18th century and in the beginning of the 19th century the curative properties of Kemeri sulphur spring waters and swamp mud are well known, therefore here representatives of the highest Kurzeme social circles arrive for treatment. The local foresters welcome the guests. During this time the first mud baths are organised. For some time the development of Jurmala and Kemeri beach is terminated by the Fatherland War of 1812. Two decades later – from 1833 until 1835 the benefits of Kemeri were enjoyed by General Governor of the Baltics Graf K. M. Palen, who addresses the Tsar of Russia Nicholas I for supporting further development of the health resort. Plead is supported and in 1836 Tsar allocates 700 ha of state land and grants 100 000 roubles for the construction of sanatorium and paving of the road from Kemeri till Sloka-Tukums high-way. Two years later (in 1938) the first state bath institution is opened. This is also considered the year of founding the health resort. In several stages the formation of Kemeri Landscape Park is begun, which is an important part of the health resort. In the middle and second half of the 19th century further development of the health resort is promoted by steamboat, as well as railroad traffic that are opened in 1877 from Riga till Tukums. In 1912 direct railroad line Kemeri-Moscow is opened. Early before World War I the number of patients reaches 8300 per year. The 1st battlefront of World War I is held in Kemeri swamp for several years and the health resort is significantly destroyed. Despite this fact after the war it develops rapidly and Kemeri becomes a beloved recreation place for the residents of Riga and one of the most modern health resorts in Europe. In 1924 a new bath institution with mud-baths is built in Kemeri, which at the time is one of the most modern in Europe, but in 1936 State President Kārlis Ulmanis opens one of the most prominent buildings of the first independent state of Latvia period – hotel "Ķemeri". Also after World War II – during the Soviet times the health resort is significantly expanded and almost 10 sanatoriums are established within its territory, in which about 100 doctors are employed. In 1971 Kemeri is awarded the status of All-Union health resort. From 1975 until 1985 the largest of sanatoriums is constructed in Kemeri – Līva (initially – Latvija), which has two blocks of eleven storeys. Up to 1200 patients at the same time could receive treatment at Līva, but within a year – up to 140 000 patients. The sanatorium is closed in the beginning of the 90ies of the 20th century as unprofitable. Up to 1994 five sanatoriums operate in Kemeri: "Čaika", "Daugava", "Dzimtene", "Ķemeri" and "Līva" (Latvija) and resort policlinic "Ķemeri". The latter period may be considered the declining fame period of Kemeri as a large-scale health resort. |
||
|
From the 6th century until the 8th century instead of the current Grobina the largest known Scandinavian trade and warrior colony in the Baltic States was located. Settlers from the inlands of Gotland and Sweden established their settlement at the hillock that was then located at the bank of the navigable Alande River. It is believed that the Cours Castle – Seeburg mentioned in the chronicles of the 9th century was located exactly here. After the loss of the order castle in the 13th century Grobina became the centre of the region. The most ancient construction of the city was formed around Lielā Street, as well as around Saules and Parka Streets. |
||
|
Piltene is one of the smallest and oldest cities in Latvia, first mentioned in 1295, and being granted the rights of a city in 1557. Between the 14th and 16th century, Piltene was the administrative centre for the Bishopric of Kurzeme. The historical streets that surround the castle ruins feature wooden buildings from the first half of the 19th century. The bishop’s castle in Piltene was built at the turn of the 14th century and used until the 16th century. Only its foundations and fragments of its tower on the banks of the Vecventa River survive. |
||
|
Dobele name in historical sources for the first time is mentioned in1254. Dobele was one of the most fortified Semigallian places; therefore from 1279 until 1289 it survived six attacks by German crusaders. In 1289 Semigallians was forced to retreat. In 1335 conquerors instead of Semigallian castle began construction of new - stone castle. On the opposite shore of Berze - on the left bank merchants and craftsmen village began to form. Town suffered greatly during the Northern War and during the subsequent plague. A significant event in the economic life was the 1927, when Liepaja-Gludas railway line was built. After World War II in Dobele and its vicinity came to the Soviet militaries, who built one of the largest Soviet tanks range "Dobele-2". Now Dobele travellers are offered a range of interesting sites to be visited. |
||
|
Kretoņu (Kretuonas) ezera dienvidu krastā (ezeru gan neredz aizauguma dēļ) meklējams Kretoņu ciems. Šķiet, ka šī vieta ir „aizķērusies" pagātnē. Cauri ciemam iet viena iela, kurai abās pusēs izvietojušās 19. – 20. gs. mijā (dažas pat mazliet agrāk – 19. gs. vidū) celtās saimniecības. Te redzamas gan dzīvojamās, gan saimniecības ēkas, kuras rada etnogrāfiska brīvdabas muzeja sajūtu. Dažas no tām gan ir „padevušās" laika zobam. Lai vai kā, šis ir viens no neparastākajiem nacionālā parka etnogrāfiskajiem ciemiem, kuru pa „galveno ielu" vērts izstaigāt visā garumā. Šim, tāpat kā pārējiem etnogrāfiskajiem ciemiem ir piešķirts kultūras mantojuma objekta statuss. |
||
|
Palanga is known to be the biggest by-the-sea resort in Lithuania because of its seacoast's main attractions - dunes and white sand. And because Palanga is a resort there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, bars and more for those who would like to enjoy a meal or a drink, for those who like active sport - there is possibility to cycle, go horseback riding, swim and much more. |
||
|
Entstanden als eine 6 km entfernte Arbeiterstadt des schon geschlossenen Ignalina-Atomkraftwerks. In der Stadtbebauung dominieren die für die Sowjetzeit typischen architektonischen Formen und Monumentalbauten. |
||
|
On the way to Turaida you must definitely stop at Gutmana cave. It is the widest (12 m) high (10 m) and in terms of volume - one of the biggest Latvian caves (cave like niche), which is also an important cultural and historical site, place rich with stories (most popular of Turaida Rose), surrounded by ancient walls and ceiling inscriptions (oldest from the end of 17th century). A spring originates from the cave; it is believed that it has healing properties. Turaida Museum reserve with Batlic scale outstanding monuments whose history stretches over 1000 years in the distant past is located at the point where the right mainland of Gauja valley is split by deep ravines of several small streams. Their exploration can be started with Turaida manor (first mentioned in 16th century), which is an outstanding example of Vidzeme manors. 21 buildings, built between the 18th century until the beginning 20th century are preserved until now. Visitors can see the manor stables, coach house, sauna, forge, fish cellar, barn, foreman house, the old residential buildings of landlord, and residential building of manor servants, oust house, etc. While walking in Turaida direction, we will reach the grave of Turaida Rose, which relates with the legend of Turaida Maija, who sacrificed her life for love. Near the grave grows a great linden tree (poor condition), wich is believed to be planted on the grave of Maija. Turaida Lutheran Church that lies further is the third church in a row and one of the oldest (1750) Latvian wooden churches – single volume wood log building with a baroque tower. Here you can see the altar and pulpit (Middle of the 18th century), altarpiece "Golgotha" (end of the 17th century – beginning of the 18th century) and historical exposition. Tautasdziesmu (folksongs) Park stretches at the Dainu Hill, the development of which started in 1985, noting the 150th anniversary of father of Latvian folk songs – Krisjanis Barons. More than 26 stone sculptures created by the sculptor I. Ranka are exhibited here. This is also a place of annual folklore events. Before the construction of Turaida stone castle (started in 1214), wooden Liv castle stood here. Turaida castle belonged to the Bishop. It existed for a long time - until to the 1776 when it was burned down. In 1953 an extensive restoration works was started here; upper storey of main tower, barn building (exposition on Sigulda district), semi-circular tower and castle complex in the southern enclosure was restored. Now the museum exhibition is established at the castle premises, which tells about the historical events in the surroundings. |
||
|
Kandava is first mentioned in the articles in 1230. In 1253 the Livonian Order built a stone castle at the upper part of Abava valley shore, at the foot which of an urban area formed. In the 17th century Kandava became an important trading centre. The plague epidemic and developments of World War I hit the town and its people hard. Kandava got the town rights in 1917. During soviet Soviet times, Sports Complex of Jaunkandavas agricultural Technical School became a popular training venue. |
||
|
Construction of the Sigulda castle was begun by the Order of Brethren of Swords in 1207, but in 1236 it was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order. The building suffered much damage during wars in the latter half of the 16th century and the early part of the 17th century. It was burned down during the Great Northern War and was not restored. Visible today is the south-western wing of the castle’s convent building and the main gate tower, behind which is the internal forecastle with an open-air stage that offers an impressive view of the ancient Gauja River valley. The new Sigulda castle was built between 1878 and 1881, and it was owned by Count Kropotkin. From 1923 until 1940, the castle housed a centre for writers, and during the Soviet Union it was a hospital for cardiology patients. Since 2003, the Sigulda Administrative District Council has been located here. The buildings that have been preserved include a wooden home (mid-19th century), where the Kropotkin family used to live, a granary (late 18th or early 19th century), the home of the gardener (19th century) and a brick wall (19th century). If we go to the north-eastern direction, we will find the Vējupīte valley less than two kilometres away. It includes the shallow (3.6 m) but high (6.1 m) Pēteris cave and the deep Pūču valley with the little Kraukļupīte River. At the place where the two valleys come together we find the Satezele castle hill (its flat surface is 90 x 75 m), where, in the early 13th century, the oak castle of the ruler of Livonian lands, Dabrelis, was once found. Nearby is the Kraukļu valley, with 11 m sandstone walls and a cave that is 5.2 m deep. Nearby is the Paradise (Painter) hill, which offers a lovely landscape that has been painted and photographed since ancient times. There is a Ferris wheel in the western part of Sigulda that is open during the summer, as well as an aerial tram that is the only transport vehicle of its type in the Baltic States and was installed in 1969. The cable that carries the tram is 1,060 metres long and links the shores of the ancient Gauja River valley between Sigulda and Krimulda. The cable is approximately 40 metres above the Gauja. The south-western part of Sigulda features the mighty Beite cliff which is split by a deep stream valley. To the west of the cliff is the Emperor’s View viewing area that is 67 m above the Gauja and offers a good view of Krimulda and the Turaida Castle. A viewing area was established here in 1862, when Tsar Alexander II of Russia visited Sigulda. The wooden Emperor’s chair is to the east of the viewing area. The Turaida Museum Reserve is in the place where the shore is split by deep valleys carved out by streams. It features several outstanding monuments that are as much as 1,000 years old. Of note are the Turaida Estate (21 buildings), the grave of the Rose of Turaida, the Turaida Lutheran Church (1750), which is one of the oldest wooden churches in Latvia) and the Turaida Castle. Folksong hill, which is nearby, is used for various thematic events. |
||
|
Aizputes pilsdrupas, akmens tilts pār Tebru, Jaunā pilsmuiža, ūdensdzirnavas un Sv. Jāņa luterāņu baznīca, kā arī 19. gs. beigās celtās koka ēkas starp Jāņa, Katoļu un Atmodas ielu veido neparastu pilsētbūvniecības kompleksu, kam piešķirts kultūras pieminekļa statuss. Staigājot pa vēsturisko centru, uzmanība jāpievērš ēku durvīm un to vērtnēm, logu ailēm, balkonu margām u.c. elementiem. |
||
|
This location is important in terms of Latvia’s history, because during the 12th and 13th century, this was the administrative and spiritual centre of the Lettigalian tribe, with the ruler of Jersika being Visvaldis. The castle stood on the shore of the Daugava at a height of 18 m, and this was a mighty castle hill. The flat part of the hill measured 100 x 75 m, and it was surrounded by a barrier and a defensive wall made of logs. People entered the castle via guarded gates beyond which there were residential and household buildings, as well as a small church. Archaeologists have found the remnants of log buildings, as well as many antiquities from the 10th to the 13th century that speak to extensive trade relations with other parts of Europe, including ancient Russia. In 1209, the forces of Bishop Albert fooled the people in the castle and sacked it and the ancient town that was around it. Visvaldis’ family was taken hostage, and so the Lettigalian ruler was forced to become a vassal of the bishop. The castle hill is privately owned, so please contact the owner before planning a visit. |
||
|
The Slutiški village is a very ethnographic village with a layout and buildings typical of the Latgale region, complete with decorated windows and facades. The Slutiški Old Believers House features a museum focusing on the cultural environment and traditions of the Old Believers. One of Latvia’s most unusual landscapes can be seen from the ancient banks of the Daugava River. |
||
|
Pilsētā nebija lielu rūpniecības uzņēmumu, un tās iedzīvotāji
nodarbojās galvenokārt ar amatniecību, tirdzniecību un lauksaimniecību.
Ilūkste tika pilnībā nopostīta 1. pasaules kara laikā un smagi cieta arī
2. pasaules kara laikā. Šodien Ilūkste ir klusa pierobežas mazpilsēta, ko
ieskauj gleznains dabas apvidus. Apskates objekti: bijušā jezuītu klostera ēka
un Ilūkstes katoļu baznīca.
|
||
|
The largest city near the Liv Coastline, where visitors will find the Ventspils branch of the Liv Association and the Liv ensemble "Rāndalist." In nearby Tārgale are the Liv ensembles "Kāndla" and "Piški kāndla." |
||
|
Pirmo reizi vēstures avotos 1253. g. šī vieta ir minēta kā kuršu apdzīvota apmetne. Laikā no 1637. – 1639. g. te uzcēla pirmās 19 kapelas – t.s. „Krusta ceļa stacijas", kas atgādināja Jeruzalemes Krusta ceļu. Kopš tā laika Žemaišu Kalvarija ir pazīstama kā nozīmīgs svētceļnieku galamērķis. Dažas no Krusta ceļa kapelām ir veidotas 17. – 18 gs., bet citas – 19. gs. Jāatceras, ka vēl pavisam nesen – Padomju laikos svētceļniekus nežēlīgi vajāja un represēja. Mūsdienās pilsētā ir izveidots 21 svētceļnieku „pieturas punkts". Te ik gadu (parasti no 2. – 12. jūlijam) notiek Žemaišu Kalvarijas katoļu draudzes svētki, kas pulcina daudz ļaužu no dažādām Eiropas valstīm. Iespaidīgā katoļu bazilika ir slavena ar Vissvētākās Jaunavas Marijas Katoļu Ģimeņu Karalienes gleznu, kas 17. gs. atvesta no Romas. Tai piedēvē brīnumdarītājas spējas. Interesants ir pilsētas ielu tīklojums, kas atgādina 9. – 13. gs. apdzīvotas vietas ielu plānojumu. Noteikti apskatāms iespaidīgais Žemaišu Kalvarijas pilskalns, kas slejas mazās Varduvas (Varduva) upītes krastā. |
||
|
1275 is considered as a year of foundation of Daugavpils. This is the time when the Master of Livonian Order Ernst von Ratceburgs built Dinaburg castle at the Naujene hill fort. It suffered several Lithuanian and Russian invasion until in 1577 the castle was destroyed by Russian troops under the command of Ivan the Terrible. After this event Dinaburg was restored 17 km further on the right bank of the river, where now the town of Daugavpils is located. From 1810-1833a new fortress was built. In 1826 started the building of what is now the historic centre of the town. During the World War I the major industrial companies with workers were evacuated to Russia. During first Latvian Republic, the cultural life in Daugavpils flourished. Most part of the town was destroyed during World War II – in the July of 1944. Nowadays the town is the second largest town in Latvia and is an important economical centre of Latgale historic region. Restoration of Daugavpils Fortress was launched recently; this project can be considered as a unique on the European scale. |
||
|
Exploring of Sigulda can be started with a visit to Sigulda castle ruins. The construction of the castle was begun by the Knights of the Sword Order in 1207, but in 1236 it was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order. Sigulda castle suffered much from the wars in the second half of the 16th century and in the beginning of 17th century. During the Northern War, it is burned down and is no more restored. Today south-western building of the convent and the tower of the main gate, behind which is the inner forefront of the castle with open air stage, which offers impressive views over the Gauja valley. Currently the reconstruction of castle ruins is in progress. Construction of New castle (owner - Prince Kropotkin) in the South of the Sigulda took place from the 1878 until 1881. From 1923 - 1940 the building was the Palace of Writers, but during the Soviet years - Cardiology sanatorium. Since 2003 Sigulda district council is located there. The manor complex includes wooden house (middle of 19th century), which was Kropotkin's family home, barn (turn of the 18th - 19th century), gardener's house (19th century) and a stone fencing (19th century.) If we make our way from New Castle in a north-eastern direction, after almost 2 km we will reach Vejupite ravine. There you can see the shallow (3.6 m) but high (6.1 m) in Peter's Cave and deep Pucu ravine with Krauklupite. At the conjunction of ravines of both streams rises a Satezele hill fort (plateau 90 x 75 m), where in the beginning of 13th century was the oak castle of Liv land chief (eldest) - Dabrelis. Near can be found Krauklu gorge - ravine of Vejupite left bank, with 11 m high sandstone walls and 5.2 m deep Krauklu cave. At the conjunction of Vejupite ravine and Gauja valley columns Paradise (Gleznotaju) Hill - a very picturesque place, painted and photographed since old times! The Paradise Hill can be reached with a electric vehicle. In the west part of Sigulda is located Ferris wheel (works during the summer) and Air cableway (streetcar) - the only this type of vehicle in Baltics (built in the 1969). Its self-supporting cable extends in 1060 m length and without any support joins the Gauja River valley banks between Sigulda and Krimulda ~ 40 m above Gauja River. Here you can enjoy excellent views! In the south-western part of Sigulda one can walk to mighty Beites precipice, which is split by the deep ravine of stream. On the west side of the ravine lies Keizarskats, which is located ~ 67 m above the Gauja level and offers good views of Krimulda and Turaida castle. Sight place was arranged here already in the 1862 when Russian Tsar Alexander II visited Sigulda. In the eastern part of the ravine wooden Keizarkrēsls (Emperor Stool) is located. |
||
|
Seda is one of the most unusual towns in Latvia. It began its life as a housing area for people from the local peat moss factory, and that happened in the 1950s and 1960s. This is a “vivid” example of Soviet architecture, with a central square (complete with a monument to the Leader) and streets radiating from it. Worth a visit is the cultural centre at the end of Uzvaras Street. It is a great example of so-called Stalinist Classicism architecture. |
||
|
The town's name in historical sources was first mentioned in 1224. In 1340 Archbishop of Riga built a stone castle at the Latgalian hill fort (now - the Lutheran Church). In 1802 (owned until 1920) Vecgulbene estate was bought by Baron G. Wolf. Manors in the surroundings of Gulbene and Vecgulbene castle substantially suffered during the Revolution in 1905 and in the further historical events. Today, there is a substantial change in the landscape, especially in the area of White Castle, where a large-scale restoration works occurred in recent years. Either way, - Gulbene is the place worth visit to get new impressions and knowledge. |
||