No Name Description
N/A
Another example of a costal defence battery along the Kurzeme shoreline is found here.
N/A

Pavilosta is a comparatively new city that has formed at the mouth of the Saka River in the Baltic Sea. True is the fact that in the medieval times the harbour of sea ships was located 6 km from the sea – at the junction of the Tebra and the Durbe Rivers. Important period in the life of the harbour was during the ruling of Duke Jacob, when sea ships arrived here. As a result of the Polish-Swedish war the Saka harbour had to be closed. The harbour that's visible nowadays in the mouth of the Saka River was formed in the middle of the 19th century at the so called Akagals fishermen village. In 1878 the river mouth was excavated and piers were built. Here two-masted ships were built. The World Wars destroyed the fleet, but the fishery traditions remained alive. In 1991 the populated area acquired the status of a city. Nowadays Pavilsota is a popular target for yachtsmen and windsurfers, as well as summer recreation place. Yachtsmen are awaited at the yacht harbour.

N/A

(formerly Pize and Pizā in Livonian).  The current name of the village comes from a lighthouse (Mihailovskii majak) that was built during the age of the Russian Empire and named for the nephew of Tsar Alexander II.  The lighthouse that is there now is the third one to be built on the site.  It was built in 1957 and is the highest lighthouse in Latvia (57 m, can only be viewed from the outside).  The Lutheran church in Mikeļtornis was built in 1893, and nearby is the Pize Saloon (1857), which is terrible condition.  The saloon has a typical design from the 19th century and is the only venue of its type on the Livonian coastline.  The first Livonian cultural activist, Jānis Princis (1796-1868), was born in Miķeļtornis, and he and son Jānis translated the Gospel of Matthew into the Western Livonian language.  The two of them also wrote a collection of poetry, "Holy Songs and Prayers for Sailors."  The only poetry book in Latvia prior to that was published by Blind Indriķis.  A student of Vilhelms Purvītis, Livonian painter Andrejs Šulcs (1910-2006), was born at the Olmaņi homestead in Miķeļtornis.  A monument to Livonian poets was installed at the local cemetery in 1978 and was the first monument dedicated to Livonians.  There are plans to open an environmental object by artist Ģirts Burvis, "Century of Sailing Ships", in 2019.

N/A

The farm offers a look at angora rabbits, which are very uncommon in Latvia. The owner offers tours, stories, rabbit wool, wool products such as mittens and socks, breeding rabbits and consultations. Children will love the animals and can feed them in the presence of the owner.

N/A

Das im 18. – 19. Jh entstandene Ensemble von Gutshofsgebäuden mit Museum Audru und Spiritusfabrik.

N/A

This nature park is located in the most distinct part of the Dagda hillocks of the Latgale highlands. Part of it is the deepest lake in the Baltic States -- Lake Drīdzis, which is 63.1 metres deep and has nine islands. Also there is Lake Otis. The loveliest views can be watched from the ancient Lettigalian castle hill that is known as Sauleskalns, and from the eastern shores of Lake Drīdzis. Accommodations are available near the lake.

N/A

The monument is on the side of Rīgas Street in the centre of Piņķi.  It is dedicated to May 22, 1919, when, after a pause of nearly two months, a brigade commanded by Col Balodis headed for Rīga to rid the capital city of the Bolsheviks.  The brigade was supposed to receive support from the German Landeswehr, the German Iron Division, and the units of Prince Lieven from Russia.  The first monument was unveiled by Latvian President Kārlis Ulmanis on May 23, 1939.  It was destroyed by the Soviet regime in 1951, but a copy was installed in 2003 (sculptor J. Briedis, copy by O. Skarainis).

N/A

The Kaltene Lutheran Church dates back to 1567, when Duke Gotthard Kettler of Courland ordered the construction of new churches in Kurzeme.  One of them was in Kaltene, and was known as the Church of St Catherine.  In 1848, a clay church was built in place of the old wooden church.  A sacristy was added in 1880, and the church was rebuilt and expanded in 1896.  It suffered much damage during World War I because a Russian mine ship attacked it.  The church was restored during the first half of the 1920s.  The altar painting, “Christ and St Peter on the Sea” was painted in 1898 by M Pohl after a panting by R. Richter.  The pulpit and organ date back to the 18th century and are cultural monuments of national importance.  The organ was built by August Martin in 1843, and it was initially in a church in Gulbene.  The instrument was brought to Kaltene in 1943 and is the oldest surviving instrument by Martin.  The bell was manufactured in 2006 by the Liepājas Metalurgs company, and a new building for the congregation was built in 2012 and 2013.  The first scenes of the feature film “Long Road to the Dunes” and the film “Forest of Bulrush” were filmed outside the gates of the church.  Nearby is the Putniņi homestead.  In 1921, Culture Minister Rainis visited the homestead.  At that time there was a store there.  The Germans burned down the homestead during World War II. (Source: Roja TIC)

N/A

Ūla ir viena no skaistākajām un likumsakarīgi – arī populārākajām Lietuvas ūdenstūristu upēm. Tās galvenā pievilcība ir skaistā ainava ar augstajiem upes krastiem, kuros slejas iespaidīgas smilšu kraujas līdzīgi kā Irbes krastos Latvijā. Laivošanu var sākt no Mančagires (Mančiagirė) vai Zervinos ciemiem un turpināt līdz Ūlas ietekai Merķē un tālāk pa Merķi līdz pat Merķinei un Nemunai. Ūla nav plata, taču posmā no Zervinos ciema tajā nav neviena koku aizgāzuma vai cita šķēršļa, kuram laiva būtu jānes apkārt. Ašā straume, asie līkumi, dzidrais ūdens un tajā redzamā zemūdens pasaule rada patiesi patīkamu sajūtu! Upes krastos atrodas gan publiskas (apsaimnieko Lietuvas valsts meži), gan privātas ūdenstūristu apmetnes un atpūtas vietas. Šī ir vienīgā Baltijas upe, kur ūdenstūristiem ir jāpērk licence. Ūlas krastos atrodas divi interesanti apskates objekti – Ūlas atsegums (Ūlos atodanga) un spēcīgs avots – Ūlas acs (Ūlos akis). Savukārt, Merķe jau ir jau krietni platāka upe, taču ar acīm redzamu straumi un dažviet pat jaukām straujtecēm. Kaut arī Merķes krasti ir mazapdzīvoti, tajos atradīsim piemērotas nakšņošanas vietas. Pa Ūlu un Merķi no Zervinos līdz Merķinei sanāk „mierīgs” pusotras - divas dienas ilgs brauciens.

N/A

The café is in the historical centre of Tukums in Brīvības Square.

Latvian cuisine: Porridge.

N/A

Bērzciema Lagūna ir atpūtas vieta zvejnieku ciematā Bērzciemā. Tiek piedāvātas divas teltis, katra ir 28 kvadrātmetrus liela, ar visām nepieciešamajām ērtībām, tostarp divguļamo gultu un atpūtas zonu. Viesu rīcībā ir arī pašapkalpošanās virtuve, āra duša un piknika vietas. Pēc iepriekšējas vienošanās vienā teltī maksimāli var izmitināt 4 personas. Piedāvājumā ir arī velosipēdu un SUP noma, telšu vietas un peldvieta jūrā. 

Glempings atrodas Enguras ezera Dabas parkā, kurā ir vairākas dabas takas, kā arī Engures ezera dabas taka ar savvaļas dzīvniekiem un putnu novērošanas torni un orhideju taka.

 

N/A

Находится~ в 4 км, не доезжая до Априки (установлен указатель) – Гибортское кладбище. Слепой Индрикис (1783 – 1828) был латышом, опубликовавшим первое собрание стихов на латышском языке (1806 г.). Индрикис был слепым с 5-летнего возраста и был необразован. Его стихи записал и издал в упомянутом году священник Априкского прихода K. Г. Элверфелдс. На кладбище установлен памятный камень (1935 г.) и созданное Вилнисом Титансом «Аустрас кокс» с надписью шрифтом Брайля.

N/A

Bijušā piecstāvīgā metāla skatu torņa apkaimē plešas Lemmjegi upes palieņu pļavas. Netālu atrodas kādreizējā Oksas kroga (Oksa kõrts) vieta, kur saglabājies iespaidīgs manteļskurstenis. Apkaimes apskatei izveidota 0,8 km gara koka laipu taka.

N/A

The Krimulda Castle was built in the latter half of the 13th century.  It was located where the right bank of the ancient Gauja River valley is split by the deep Vikmeste ravine.  The castle was owned by the council of archbishops from Rīga, and it was an impressive structure with a large interior courtyard and a defensive wall that was 1.5 m thick.  The Swedish military blew up the castle when retreating in 1601.  Today the castle hill is forested, and only a small fragment of the castle wall can still be seen.  It is near the ruins that you will find the Sigulda aerial tram and the Krimulda serpentine road – the only object of its kind in the Baltic States.

N/A

The farm grows peas, grits and beans, and it breeds cattle. Visitors can take a tour to learn about biodynamic agricultural techniques.

N/A

The pub is located in a wooden log building and situated in the suburbs of Sigulda, allowing one to feel the Latvian spirit in the interior and enjoy Latvian-style dishes. The pub has maintained the traditions and quality of Latvian cuisine.

Latvian cuisine: Sauerkraut soup, filet of pike-perch, pike cakes, pork tongue, pork ribs, homemade steak haché, potato pancakes, stacked rye bread, rye bread baked in honey, baked ap.ple, homemade ice cream.

Special foods: “Steak a la Bucefāls,” “Ice cream a la Bucefāls”.

 

N/A
This is a site where you can try out ancient weapons – bows and crossbows (a reproduction of items from the 14th and 15th century), throwing an axe (replicas of German axes from the 13th century), and spears. Once you’ve learned how to handle those weapons, you can also forge a copy of a Medieval coin. You can try on copies of armoured caps and gloves and have your picture taken with a sword or battle axe. For larger groups, the enterprise will organise ancient sports and table games.
N/A

The Berķenele semi-estate is a historical monument of national importance, known as the place where the distinguished Latvian author and politician Rainis (1865-1929) spent his childhood.  The house was restored in 1995, and since 1996 it has been the Rainis house in Berķenele.  Rainis recorded his childhood impressions in a poetry collection called "Five Sketch Notebooks from Dagda." Today the managers of the house offer tours, creative workshops and exhibitions.  Visitors can don the clothing worn by the lord and his servants.  Around the house is a large orchard, featuring a programme called "Route of Apples."  The house also has a lovely landscape that is interesting to see. 

N/A

This farm rears goats and produces various goat’s milk dairy products, making goat’s cheese and other products from fresh ingredients. The farm also grows potatoes, juicy strawberries and other products. The summer outhouse provides space for 15 to 20 people to sit cosily by the table and chat. A light meal made from 100% farm products is offered.

N/A

The farm produces tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, grey peas, herbs, pumpkins and cabbages, and it also has a group of chickens which spend their time outdoors. The farm’s products are available for purchase.