Country Holidays
No 30461
Famous building
Famous building Latvia, Vidzeme, Saulkrastu novads

Outpatient Clinic in Peterupe

In 1888, the building, provided for a doctor’s needs, was donated by Baron Alexander Alexei von Pistohlkors to the parish of Pēterupe Lutheran Church. Along with the building, Baron Pistohlkors also donated 6 hectares of land and 10 000 roubles for the doctor’s use. Arvēds von Engelhards became the first medical doctor in Pēterupe. In 1890, the first pharmacy was opened in one room of the clinic, serving people from a wide area; it remained in the building until 1895. This outpatient clinic was the very first stone building in Saulkrasti, the first health authority in a wide area, as well as the first pharmacy. Through its entire lifetime, the house was maintained from voluntary donations – at first by Alexander Alexei von Pistohlkors, then by churchgoers of Pēterupe Parish – therefore by the money of the villagers.
This house also played a role as the place of establishment of the Saulkrasti development society, which was actively supported by many celebrities such as the opera singer Herberts Ozolītis, actresses Tija Banga, Mirdza Šmithene, Lilija Štengele and Malda Gruzevska, composer Alfrēds Kalniņs and many other cultural professionals, artists and writers of that time, who used to spend summers in Saulkrasti. In 1933, the parish converted the outpatient clinic for the needs of a school.
Saulkrasti Primary School was transferred to the building of the former outpatient clinic.

Distance from countries capital city46