No Name Description
N/A

This is the centre for Catholicism in Latvia and a destination for pilgrims from all around the world.  Its origins date back to 1699, when the Dominican Order established a cloister.  One year later, it built the first wooden church.  The brick Church of St Dominic and the buildings of the cloister were erected between 1768 and 1800.  The Baroque church is distinguished by two towers that are 60 metres high.  The pulpit, organ prospectus, organ, prayer bench and pews come from the 18th century, while the side altars date back to the early 19th century.  The central altar includes the painting “The Miraculous Mother of God of Aglona,” which is thought to have healing properties.  For that reason, it is unveiled only during important events.  In advance of a visit to Latvia by Pope John Paul II in 1993, the complex underwent major rebuilding and restoration.  On August 15 each year, hundreds and thousands of pilgrims arrive in Aglona to celebrate the assumption of the Virgin Mary.  The holy stream of Aglona is 100 metres to the East of the basilica.

N/A
Paramonovas Old-Believer Preaching House was built in 1882.
N/A

This chapel is interesting in form and made of field stones.  It was built in the 19th century and is not open to the public.

N/A

The St George Lutheran Church of Subate is on the north-eastern shore of Lesser Lake Subate. The church was built in the Byzantium style in 1685 and 1868 and was commissioned by the owner of the Prode Estate, H.F. Osten-Sacken. This is the only church in Latvia which is reminiscent of the typical appearance of Protestant churches in the late 17th century. The small towers at the corners of the building are of interest. Inside you will find a richly ornamented ensemble of sculptures and wood carvings, including a 17th-century altar, pulpit and pews, as well as artworks from the 17th and 18th century and a bell that was cast in 1682. Some of the interior design was the work of students at the Stelmuže wood carving school.

N/A

The Lutheran Church of St John in Aizpute is on Beidas Hill, which is near the steep river valley of the Tebra River and the Dzirnavdīķis pond which the river has created. The church is on an ancient Courlandian castle hill. The current Gothic appearance of the church dates back to 1860, when it was rebuilt. The tower dates back to 1730. This is one of the oldest churches in Kurzeme, and it features an interesting interior with many artistic monuments.

N/A

Nelielā izmēra ēka (balts ķieģeļu mūris, ar dēļiem apšūts zems tornis) atrodas Liepājas – Klaipēdas šosejas (A 11) malā. 20. gadsimta sākumā tā kalpojusi kā lūgšanu nams, taču tā paša gadsimta vidū pārbūvēta, uzceļot torni.

N/A
Vainova Old-Believers Prayer House was built in 1980 replacing the previous church that was burnt by lightening. Initially, the Prayer House was one of the biggest churches in Latgale (for 2 000 people). The congregation of the church exists since the 18th century.
N/A
Sts. Simon and Judas Roman Catholic Church of Dricāni was built in 1859 on the top of the hill. There is the wooden altar of the Holy Spirit, decorated with woodcarvings, wooden statuettes and the icon of Simon and Jude.
N/A

The Nereta Lutheran Church is in the centre of Nereta at Rīgas Street 2. The Baroque church features elements of the late Gothic period, and it is seen as one of the oldest churches in Zemgale. It was built between 1584 and 1893 at the initiative of Count Wilhelm von Effern and rebuilt in 1679. There are gravestone reliefs in the church dedicated to Wilhelm and Georg von Effern which date back to the late 16th century. The gravestone for Georg Effern is the most distinguished artwork in the style of early Nordic Mannerism in Latvia. The altar painting was painted in 1863 by P. Handler. The organ was built by R. Knauff in 1893, and the stained glass windows were produced by E. Baiermann in 1900. The chandeliers on the ceiling date back to the 17th and 19th centuries. Visitors can view Nereta and its surroundings from the unique eight-corner tower of the church, which is 38.6 m high.

N/A

The church was opened in 1651 after half a century of sometimes interrupted construction.  It was fully rebuilt and took on its current appearance in 1876.  The church contains one of the most important church objects in Latvia – the oldest pulpit in the country (1590).  It was designed in the style of Mannerism.  The church also has a bell from a wrecked chapel of the local knighthood.  The bell was manufacture in 1450 and was installed at the church in the 19th century.  It is the oldest church bell in Latvia.  The German painter F. Wolff painted the altar painting, “Christ on the Cross,” and it, along with the altar, have recently been restored.

N/A
St. Anthony Roman Catholic Church of Pilcene (Piļcine) is the oldest wooden church in Latgale, built in 1670. It is prominent because of its half columns, hexagonal tower, semicircular windows, and a dome with a cross and antique interior.
N/A
St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church of Ciskādi was built approximately in 1990. The brick building is an example of Romanesque style. The church has a specific icon called „Madonna and the child”, crucifix and the organ.
N/A

18 A. Upīša Street. The church was built in 1897 in the Neo-Gothic style (Architect H. Shel) and it is one of the few19th century city brick buildings. In the church there is the altarpiece "Christ healing the sick" - I. Zeberliņš (1943). You can see the church from the inside during the worship or by a prior arrangement. Near the church, you can see a monument designed by E. Laube (1926) to 80 Latvian riflemen who died in World War I and who were buried in the Warrior's Cemetery near the river Vēršupīte. Near the cemetery, there are also buried J. Kārkliņš and F. Siliņš, fighters of the Kauguri Battle of May 18, 1919. By a prior arrangement, tourist groups can see the church from the inside.

N/A
Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Church of Nautrēni (Rogovka). The construction works of the brick church lasted from 1901 till 1914. It is an example of Romantesque style. The organ was bought in 1939; it is a national cultural monument.
N/A
Krustceļi Old-Believers Prayer House was built in 1939.
N/A

Церковь строилась с 1909 по 1913 год. Качество красного кирпича, используемого в строительстве храма, было плохим, поэтому с 1939 года заменено около 60 000 кирпичей! Храм считается одним из самых внушительных сакральных строений Латвии. В строительстве церкви применены декоративные элементы неоготического стиля, а в интерьере - алтарь, кафедра, хоры органа, молитвенные скамейкии изготовленные в наши дни исповедальни созданы в готических формах. Орган строился в 1931 году. Храм пострадал во время Первой мировой войны и был восстановлен в 1921 году. Осмотр церкви рекомендуется проводить в сопровождении гида.

N/A

Meklējama Gosporos, starp Rīgas – Daugavpils šoseju (A 6) un Daugavu. Apjomā nelielais dievnams būvēts 1820. gadā romāņu stilā no laukakmeņiem senas kapsētas vietā. Tuvāk Daugavai ir izveidota aka, no kuras iztek Svētavots, kam piedēvē dziednieciskas īpašības. Pie baznīcas novietots dobumakmens.

N/A

Meklējama Nīcgalē, starp Rīgas – Daugavpils šoseju (A 6) un Daugavas krastu. Baznīcu cēla (neogotikas stils) pēc muižnieka Henriha Plātera - Zīberga iniciatīvas 1862. - 1863. g., veltot to Jaunavas Marijas dzimšanai. Kā jau daudzas citas baznīcas, arī šī ēka un tās interjera priekšmeti cieta 1. pasaules kara laika notikumos. To atjaunoja 1922. gadā. Baznīcas iekārta ir saglabājusies no 19. gs. 60. gadiem, bet, centrālā altāra augšdaļu pārbūvēja 1957. gadā. Dažus gadus vēlāk - 1961. g. uzstādīja ērģeles.

N/A

This small wooden church with fragments of a metal gate is on the side of the road in the village of Ruduški.  It is not open to visitors on a daily basis.

N/A

The Lode (Apši) Lutheran Church is between Lake Bānūži and Lake Ilze. It is a unique example of wooden architecture and dates back to 1780. The log church had a straw roof until the early 20th century, at which point a shingled roof was installed instead.