No Name Description
N/A

Located in the northern part of Valmiera, the Valmiermuiža Estate mansion (Neo-Baroque Style) was built between 1764 and 1771 by Prince August Friedrich of Schleswig, Holstein and Soderburg.  Over the course of time it has been owned by other people.  According to modern evidence, the mansion was a one-story building with a Baroque tower and a two-story addition in the early 20th century, which made it appropriate as a summer home and hunting lodge.  The building burned down in 1918.  Two years later, Valmiermuiža became a prison camp for captured soldiers.  Later the addition to the mansion was restored and used as an elementary school.  In 1936, the building became a prison, and it was once again a prison camp for captured soldiers during World War II.  Later the building burned down again, and the ruins were removed.  Still surviving is the Valmiermuiža tower, with ceiling paintings that are a cultural monument, as is the surrounding park.  The Valmiermuiža brewery is alongside the historical monument, thus providing second wind for the whole region.

N/A

Der älteste und größte Kurort Litauens (seit 1794). Mikroklima (Luft der Umgebungswälder), salzhaltigee Quellen, Heilschlamm. Die Altstadt ist ein städtebauliches Denkmal.

N/A

Fiskars Village, the Fiskars company's birthplace, has become an internationally renowned centre of Finnish design and art. Its history goes back to 1649 and today it offers visitors things to see and do all year round. Events and service of Fiskars Village have their focus mainly on the four themes of Fiskars Village; design handicraft and art, local food and drinks, performing arts and outdoor and nature.

N/A

Das bekannteste Museum der Geschichte der Bienenzucht Litauens mit den Bienenhäusern verschidener Arte, der Arbeitsmittel der Bienenzüchter, Holzskulpturen und Hönigankauf.

N/A

Palūšē atrodas nacionālā parka administrācija (izveidota neliela ekspozīcija) un tūrisma informācijas centrs, kempings, nesen atjaunotā laivu bāze un viens no biežāk apmeklētajiem parka objektiem – Palūšes baznīca (Palūšės bažnyčia), kas celta 1757. gadā. 2008. g. No dievnama apkārtnes paveras jauks skats uz Lūšu (Lūšiai) ezeru, īpaši saulrietos, kad baznīca iegūst teiksmainu nokrāsu. Blakus baznīcas žogam aug vecais Palūšes ozols. Uzskata, ka tā vecums varētu būt ~ 350 – 400 gadi.

N/A

Helsinki is the capital of Finland and the biggest city in Finland. It offers a lot to see as it is seaside city surrounded by islands but city itself is full of wonderful parks. This city has everything to attract all kinds of people - from architecture and culture to nature and even has wide range of places where to enjoy night-time Helsinki.

N/A

Materials of archaeological excavations show that the Ogre river banks were inhabited by the Livs. Ogre as a larger populated area and a major resort developed after the construction of Riga-Daugavpils railway in 1861. Until the World War I about 300 cottages offered their services in Ogre, most of them were destroyed during the war. The next "major" event took place 1965 when one of the largest knitwear plants in Europe was built in Ogre, which was staffed by guest workers from Vietnam and countries. Today, Ogre has still not recovered its glory of a resort, but has become a rather exclusive site of mostly low-rise residential buildings.

N/A

1275 is considered as a year of foundation of Daugavpils. This is the time when the Master of Livonian Order Ernst von Ratceburgs built Dinaburg castle at the Naujene hill fort. It suffered several Lithuanian and Russian invasion until in 1577 the castle was destroyed by Russian troops under the command of Ivan the Terrible. After this event Dinaburg was restored 17 km further on the right bank of the river, where now the town of Daugavpils is located. From 1810-1833a new fortress was built. In 1826 started the building of what is now the historic centre of the town. During the World War I the major industrial companies with workers were evacuated to Russia. During first Latvian Republic, the cultural life in Daugavpils flourished. Most part of the town was destroyed during World War II – in the July of 1944. Nowadays the town is the second largest town in Latvia and is an important economical centre of Latgale historic region. Restoration of Daugavpils Fortress was launched recently; this project can be considered as a unique on the European scale.

N/A

Exploring of Sigulda can be started with a visit to Sigulda castle ruins. The construction of the castle was begun by the Knights of the Sword Order in 1207, but in 1236 it was rebuilt for the needs of the Livonian Order. Sigulda castle suffered much from the wars in the second half of the 16th century and in the beginning of 17th century. During the Northern War, it is burned down and is no more restored. Today south-western building of the convent and the tower of the main gate, behind which is the inner forefront of the castle with open air stage, which offers impressive views over the Gauja valley. Currently the reconstruction of castle ruins is in progress. Construction of New castle (owner - Prince Kropotkin) in the South of the Sigulda took place from the 1878 until 1881. From 1923 - 1940 the building was the Palace of Writers, but during the Soviet years - Cardiology sanatorium. Since 2003 Sigulda district council is located there. The manor complex includes wooden house (middle of 19th century), which was Kropotkin's family home, barn (turn of the 18th - 19th century), gardener's house (19th century) and a stone fencing (19th century.) If we make our way from New Castle in a north-eastern direction, after almost 2 km we will reach Vejupite ravine. There you can see the shallow (3.6 m) but high (6.1 m) in Peter's Cave and deep Pucu ravine with Krauklupite. At the conjunction of ravines of both streams rises a Satezele hill fort (plateau 90 x 75 m), where in the beginning of 13th century was the oak castle of Liv land chief (eldest) - Dabrelis. Near can be found Krauklu gorge - ravine of Vejupite left bank, with 11 m high sandstone walls and 5.2 m deep Krauklu cave. At the conjunction of Vejupite ravine and Gauja valley columns Paradise (Gleznotaju) Hill - a very picturesque place, painted and photographed since old times! The Paradise Hill can be reached with a electric vehicle. In the west part of Sigulda is located Ferris wheel (works during the summer) and Air cableway (streetcar) - the only this type of vehicle in Baltics (built in the 1969). Its self-supporting cable extends in 1060 m length and without any support joins the Gauja River valley banks between Sigulda and Krimulda ~ 40 m above Gauja River. Here you can enjoy excellent views! In the south-western part of Sigulda one can walk to mighty Beites precipice, which is split by the deep ravine of stream. On the west side of the ravine lies Keizarskats, which is located ~ 67 m above the Gauja level and offers good views of Krimulda and Turaida castle. Sight place was arranged here already in the 1862 when Russian Tsar Alexander II visited Sigulda. In the eastern part of the ravine wooden Keizarkrēsls (Emperor Stool) is located.

N/A

Sikrags is one of the oldest coastal Liv villages which as a Liv settlement was first mentioned in writings in 1387. During the 17th century Sikrags was one of the most important small ports in North Courland which was equipped with warehouses. During the manor times, large fields of crops stretched in the village, there were several barns, where crops was dried and processed. During the first half of the 20th century, active fishing took place at Sīkrags. There was so much fish, that they were pumped out of the boats with special fish pumps. During Soviet times this was one of the few villages where it was allowed to fish at the sea, therefore in 1955 a small fish-processing factory was built in the coastal dunes, which operated only for about ten years. When the plant was liquidated, the development of the village declined. Today there is no sign that would witness medieval port and active fishing activities at Sīkrags apart from the ruins of the mentioned factory.

N/A

Origins of Livani as a bigger place of population are linked to the 1533, when the then owner of the land Lieven established the manor and called it after his own name Lievenhof. The 1678, the first Catholic Church was built here. The city suffered considerably during the two world wars. Name of Livani is associated with the glass. In 1887 a glass factory was founded here, which today has ceased operation.

N/A

The Capital of Lithuania. One of the biggest East Europe's old towns (included in UNESCO World's Cultural Heritage list) where there is a lot of representation of various architecture styles like Classicism, Baroque, Gothique, etc.

N/A

Jaunpils development is linked to the Livonian Order's castle, which until now has hardly changed its building volume and appearance. From 1561 until 1919 it belonged to the barons Reki family. In 1905 the castle was burned down, but later it was reconstructed under the supervision of architect V. Bockslaff. Substantial castle restoration work began during the sixties of 20th century. Now in the castle is a museum, but gourmets can taste medieval dishes at the castle tavern.

N/A

The central part of the town of Krāslava is an historical monument because its low-story and beautiful wooden buildings. The best views of the historical centre relate to the carp park near the Adamova trail, the Karņicskis hill, the bridge across the Daugava (Prospekta Street), and the Priedaine viewing tower on the left bank of the Daugava River.

N/A

Ein ehemaliges Fischerdorf am Ufer des Kurischen Haffs. Hierher sind die Bewohner der Dörfern umgezogen, deren Dörfe unter dem Sand der Wanderdünen begraben wurden. Holzbebauung des 19 – 20 Jh.

N/A

Third biggest island in Estonia. Full of beautiful grown junipers, little dolomite outcrop on the coast of the sea and fishermen villages on the coastline.

N/A

Eine Floßhauptstadt Lettlands mit dem jährlichen Flößerfest im Mai.

N/A

Kuldiga is deservedly considered the most beautiful small town of medieval times in Latvia. Instead of it already in the 13th century the Bandava centre of the ancient Cours land was located. In 1242 construction of stone castle was begun at Venta Falls by the Livonian Order. Populated area formed beside the castle, which was the first to acquire the rights of a city in Kurzeme (in 1378). Significant was also its participation in the Hanza Union. From 1561 until 1795 Kuldīga was the capital city of Kurzeme Dukedom. Naturally, in the first half of the 17th century it experienced rapid economic growth, which was terminated by the beginning of the Northern War and plague epidemic. The pride of Kurzeme residents and the lack of larger industrial objects was the reason, why during the Soviet times larger masses of immigrants did not flood the city, therefore today Kuldiga is one of the most Latvian cities in Kurzeme. It is worth to visit Kuldiga and stay there for more than one day, because there is plenty to do here. Nature fans may observe the flying fish, but for researchers of cultural history a really vast field of work opens here.

N/A

An ancient Livonian fishing village, first mentioned in the historical sources in the middle of the eighties of 16th century. Oldest homes of the village homes are Lekshi and Zhonaki, referred in the Dundaga vaku book in 1736. It is believed that name of Vaide derived from the Livonian word ''vait'' -''middle, "between". Both in earlier times and to this day it was observed that large mammals that crossed the Irbe Strait by swimming came out of the sea on Vaide shore. For example, in 2005 zoologist of Slitere National Park Vilnis Skuja saw a wild boar family, who come a long way from the island of Saaremaa and came to the land near Vaide. It is worth to walk along the "main road" of Vaide, on the sides of which alternatively old and modern buildings can be observed. Like in the rest of the Livonian fishermen villages, this can be done by walk or bike. Vaide village is chosen as the summer home of many famous Latvian officials and politicians.

N/A

In the 15th century, Preili manor became the property of Count Borhs family. Borhs were living here until the 60ties of 19th century. The city itself formed in the first half of the 19th century by fusion of Preili Manor, the village and free village - settlement of traders and craftsman. In the 19th century a luxurious palace was built in Preili and Landscape Park was created. Today Preili is an important economic centre of Latgale (cheese and sewing plants), where t folklore, crafts and Catholicism traditions are fostered. Preili tour in the guidance of TIC employee Irena Kjarkuza is highly recommended.