No Name Description
N/A

This is an ancient Liv village, known as Mustanumm is the last village in the south-easterly direction, and during the mid-20th century, just a few Livonians lived there.  Of 307 inhabitants in 1935, only 15 were Livonians.  At the beginning of the 19th century, there were six farms and a lagoon here, but at the end of the century there were 63 farms.  The valley of the Baķupīte River and the sea had remnants of pilings that provided evidence about a Medieval port.  Legends say that the sea robber Trommel had a castle on the left bank of the river during the 14th century.  Sailing ships were once built in the region, as well. Two locations of cultural and historical importance in Melnsils are the ancient cult location that is the Baķi castle hill, and the castle hill of a sea pirate Trommel.

N/A

Most popular Estonian resort with wide range of leisures and SPA offers. One of the rare Estonian sandy beaches. The Old Town has the main walker street - Rüütli tee.

N/A

The former Memele. The only port city with a old town in Lithuania.

N/A

This is one of the oldest Livonian villages, recorded in documents for the first time in 1387.  The old road from the Dundaga Estate to Sīkrags existed in the Middle Ages.  During the 17th century, Sīkrags was one of the most important small ports in Northern Kurzeme, receiving ships from England, Holland and Lubeck that carried coal, grain and other products.  Before World War I, there were five sprat smokehouses in the village, and some 55 fishermen lived there during the 1920s and 1930s.  Among those to have been born in Sīkrags was the Livonian cultural activist Hilda Grīva (Cerbaha, 1910-1984), seafaring captain Kārlis Anbanks (1884-1937), Baptist preacher Kārlis Lāceklis (1904-1970), linguist and tradition specialist Pēteris Dambergs (1909-1987), and graphic artist Baiba Damberga (b 1957).  Today the village is a cultural monument of national importance.  It is crossed by a bike route, with a commemorative stone where the narrow-gauge railroad station once stood.  Sīkrags, like neighbouring villages, is in the Slītere National Park.

N/A

Ļoti skaists un ainavisks etnogrāfiskais ciems Balošas (Baluošas) ezera ziemeļu krastā, netālu no diviem iepriekš minētajiem ciemiem. Te apskatāmas interesantas un skaistas koka ēkas, kas celtas no guļbaļķiem, ar niedru vai lubiņu jumtiem un izrotātas ar dažāda veida dekoratīvajiem elementiem. Pirmo reizi rakstos Šumini minēti 1784. g. Savu vārdu ciems ieguva no kādreiz dzīvojošas ģimenes uzvārda. Kā interesantākā ir jāpiemin sena klēts.

N/A

To the south of Koknese, the Destiny Garden is on an island that is surrounded by the waters of the Pļaviņas hydroelectric power plant (there is a bridge to the shore).  The aim of this fundamental open-air object was to commemorate people in Latvia who suffered because of totalitarian regimes.  The first work here began in 2008, and the designer of the landscape was a Japanese landscape architect, Shunmyo Masuno.  Work on the garden continues, but it is already a popular tourist destination.  The first permanent structure is a terrace that offers a view of the Koknese castle ruins and the local Lutheran church.  This means that there will be something new each time that people visit the park.  People are invited to bring rocks for this nationally important location that commemorates Latvia’s history.

N/A

This village is at the place where the Irbe (Dižirve, Īra) River flows into the sea, and it is on both shores of the river (sea side and land side).  The name of Irbe was recorded for the first time in a 1310 border agreement between the bishop of Kurzeme and the Rīga Dome Capitol.  The name of Lielirbe (Irvemūnde) was recorded for the first time in a document from an arbitration court in 1387.  At the end of the 19th century, the small port at Lielirbe was an active centre for the sale and transport of timber materials.  In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the largest number of sailing ships among villages on the western shore of Kurzeme was built there.  In 1939, the village had some 300 residents, more than 70 houses and a Baptist church which is now at the Ventspils Open Air Museum.  A narrow-gauge railroad passed through the village, which had a post and telegraph office, two grocery stores, an elementary school, a choir and a brass band.  Lielirbe was one of the largest villages to disappear after World War II.  Cultural historian Valda Marija Šuvcāne (1923-2007) was born in Lielirbe, and her daughter, Baiba Šuvcāne, is continuing her mother's work by writing important papers about life along the Livonian coastline.  By 2019, a bridge is to be reinstalled across the Irbe River.

N/A

Helsinki is the capital of Finland and the biggest city in Finland. It offers a lot to see as it is seaside city surrounded by islands but city itself is full of wonderful parks. This city has everything to attract all kinds of people - from architecture and culture to nature and even has wide range of places where to enjoy night-time Helsinki.

N/A

This is an ancient populated area.  There were 50 homesteads here during the 1930s, with only ten remaining in 1990.  The Livonian scholar and entomologist Kārlis Princis (1893-1978) was born in Oviši.  In 1944, he emigrated to Sweden.  The Oviši lighthouse (1814) is 38 metres high and is the oldest functioning lighthouse in Latvia.  There are lovely views from the top of the lighthouse.  The building in which employees of the lighthouse used to live was erected in 1905 and has been preserved.  A narrow-gauge train station was in the building at one time.  The Oviši Lighthouse Museum is nearby, as is the metal Tree of Austra.  Opposite Cape Oviši is a great place for bird watching. 

N/A

Madonas centrālais laukums, kas vēl 20. gs. sākumā bija tirgus laukums. Pēc apjomīgās restaurācijas tas ir kļuvis par ievērības cienīgu pilsētvides objektu. Laukuma ziemeļu pusē atrodas pilsētas un novada pašvaldība un Madonas novada TIC.

N/A

Valdemārpils is a small and quiet town along the shore of Lake Sasmaka.  A village of craftsmen and merchants was established on the land of the Sasmaka Estate in the 17th century.  There were quite a few Jewish merchants and craftsmen in towns in Kurzeme during the mid-19th century, and Sasmaka was known as their capital city.  The city was named Valdemārpils in 1926.  Its historical 19th century centre is a monument to urban construction.  The town has a Lutheran church, an Orthodox church, a former synagogue, a monument to Krišjānis Valdemārs, and an outstanding linden tree.

N/A

Evidence found at Dievukalns tells that Baltic tribes lived at this place 3,000 years ago the, but in 7th and 9th here at the Daugava Livs tribes settled. Bishop of Riga built stone castle at the bank of the river Daugava (first mentioned in the 1229), whose ruins you can see today as well. Lielvarde is an inspiration for such people of cultural awakening time as Andrejs Pumpurs (1841-1902) and Auseklis (1850-1879). During World War I (almost three years Daugava served as front line) Lielvarde was completely destroyed. After the World War II, here, as well as elsewhere in the Latvian territory, begins the establishment of collective farms. During this time Lielvarde became known for another symbol - "Lacplesa" beer. Today Lielvarde is a favourite of travellers, who have chosen to make their route along the right bank of the Daugava.

N/A

Haapsalu was once loved by aristocrats who stayed here during summers, nowadays this town is very appealing to its visitors because of its essence - tiny streets, old wooden buildings and promenade. Worth mentioning are also town's SPAs which were one of the reasons why Haapsalu was so popular its earlier years. Interesting enough, the famous composer Tchaikovsky considered this place one of his favorite's for spending the holidays.

N/A

From the historical and architectural perspective, this is an interesting monument to urban construction between the 17th and 19th centuries.  Old Liepāja is in the area of the old market and Kuršu Square, where merchants sold their wares beginning in the 1560s.  Until 1792, Kuršu Square was also where punishments were implemented.  The current Pētertirgus pavilion was installed alongside the square in 1910.  A map shows that the network of streets has partly preserved the chaos of street planning that was typical in Medieval towns.

N/A

Ap 200 m garajā un izstieptās formas laukumā no 16. – 20. gs. atradās Liepājas tirgus. Laukuma malās tolaik bija izveidojusies vienstāvu apbūve – iebraucamās sētas, viesnīcas un dārzi. Līdz ar Pētertirgus izveidi 1910. gadā, izmainījās arī laukuma apveidi un to ieskaujošā apbūve. Laukuma DA malā slejas iespaidīgā Liepājas Svētās Annas Luterāņu baznīca.

N/A

Dagda is mentioned in the historical sources of 17th century as a trader village. In 1772, Dagda district was included the Pskov province, but in 1802 - Vitebsk province. In 1905 widespread peasant unrest took place here, during which many important architectural monuments were destroyed. Town was not spared also by the two world wars. What's to see for the tourist here? In the centre of Dagda historical buildings - houses, built of red brick - the so-called "Jewish tradesmen houses" are preserved. Dagda is the only place in the Latvia, where every year is celebrated Anne's Day in the town's park!

N/A

The history of Līgatne cannot be separated from the paper factory which was once the only factory of its kind in Latvia. Tours are available in the company of a guide. During the late 19th and early 20th century, the company built homes, a school, a birthing centre, a hospital, a club, a guesthouse and other buildings for its employees, and most of these buildings have survived to this day. There are more than 200 interesting underground passageways which are still used as warehouses for various items, including vegetables.

N/A

Ein einzigartiges Örtchen beiderseits des Flusses Minija, wo der Fluss eine „Hauptstraße” ist. Litauens Venedig.

N/A

In 1615, Courlandian Duke Friedrich Kettler (1569-1642) allowed Bauska to build a new city hall.  At the beginning of the 17th century, Market Square in Bauska featured the largest city hall in the entire duchy.  A lack of money led to the dismantling of the hall’s tower in 1852 and its second floor in 1871.  A new city hall was built in 2011, and now Bauska can be proud of a new and outstanding tourist destination that can also be entered.  The restored city hall offers a chance for people to weigh themselves and measure their height with old-time measurements.  Each person who does so receives a certificate to attest to his or her height and weight.

N/A

The most populated place in The Curonian Spit - old curonian village - Nida. Until 19th century Nida's citizens were mainly fishermen. Later it became a popular resort. Like other villages here Nida has been "moved" because of "wandering dunes". There are a lot of museums to see. During tourism season there is around  ~ 200 000 – 300 000 tourists here.