No Name Description
N/A

Das einzige Museum solcher Art im Baltikum. Das Ziel des Museums besteht darin, die Mensch(und litauisches Volk)-Kosmos-Beziehung zu zeigen. Ausbildungsprogramme, mythologische Steine.

N/A

The Daugavpils Mark Rothko Art Centre is a multi-functional institution of culture, arts and education, located inside of the fortress' Arsenal building. It is a unique place in the Eastern Europe, where are located the original paintings of Mark Rothko – a great artist of the XX cent., a founder of the abstract expressionism movement, best known for his enigmatic color field paintings.

N/A

This is a collection of cinema and photography items collected by the owner of the Ziķu homestead in the Zirņi Parish, which is in the Saldus Administrative District.  The collection includes antique film cameras and objects that demonstrate the process of taking pictures and films.  The exhibition is in a log building that the owner built – one that resembles bee cells.  Please contact the owner in advance for a tour.

N/A

Pusceļā starp Madonu un Cesvaini, Sarkaņu pagasta Biksēres “Jaundilmaņos”  dzimis Latvijas Bērnu ķirurģijas pamatlicējs, traumatalogs un ortopēds, izcils bērnu ārsts Aleksandrs Bieziņš (1897.-1975.). Tagad viņa dzimtajās mājās ierīkots muzejs, Paula Stradiņa Medicīnas vēstures muzeja filiāle. 

N/A

Observatory which was built (1808. – 1810. g.) Southeast of Doma Hill is called pearl of Estonian's science. There's a museum inside.

N/A

The exhibition in the museum features the history of the “Women of Suita” ethnographic ensemble, a room that depicts a typical living room from the early 20th century with various objects, as well as old photographs that speak to the history of the city.  Folk costumes and their elements are on display, and there is also a weaving workshop in the museum.

N/A

Located at Daugavas Street 58 in Skrīveri, this was the first home of the Andrejs Upītis (1877-1970).  It was built in 1908, but the one that is there now was built on the foundations of the first one in 1921.  The building houses a museum which features the life and work of the writer, including the writing his great novel “The Green Earth.”  There is a garden around the building.  In 1952, Upītis gifted the house and garden to the state.  The museum offers tours and educational programmes.

N/A

The main building of the museum features an early 19th C. threshing barn with a dirt floor, the living quarters were added in the late 19th C. The museum also exhibits a smoke sauna, summer kitchen, granary, cellar, coach house and a dining house (formerly a cattle shed). All buildings have a display of tools and everyday commodities, traditional farm food can be booked in advance and handicraft workshops are available.

N/A

Eine Asstellung der Steine unter freiem Himmel, eingerichtet vom litauischen Ärzt Intas Vaclovas (1925 – 2007). Ein Museum der einzigartigen Steine.

N/A

The open-air museum was proposed in 1992 by the sculptor Ojārs Arvīds Feldbergs, and it is located on the banks of the Ancient Abava River valley and on land that was once part of the Firkspedvāle and Briņķpedvāle estates.  The park features contemporary art, and the museum also organises symposiums, creative workshops and other events.

N/A

The farm museum presents the life and activities of Carl Robert Jakobson (an outstanding 19th C public person, writer and teacher) and his farmstead. Visitors can see cattle, sheep, horses and renovated outbuildings. They can also test their skills in farm jobs; Estonian food is available if booked in advance.

N/A

The museum was established in 1973 and has been in the Kalna Ziedi homestead since 1989.  The permanent exhibition is in a building that was erected in 1989 on the foundations of the former home, while the warehouse (1990) was built on the foundations of a cattle shed.  The exhibition hall (2000) was built where a granary once stood.  The only part of the former farm that remains in place is the cellar, but the placement of the buildings is typical for the layout of a farm in Vidzeme.  The collection of the museum speaks to the history of the administrative district, beginning with information about the Stone Age.  The open-air exhibition features beehives with marks of belonging, as well as rare round crosses that are monuments to Medieval cemeteries.  100 metres to the Northeast from the museum is the Kalna Ziedi castle hill, while 200 metres to the south are the remains of a sacrificial oak stump that was destroyed in 1994.  The location is on the edge of the reservoir of the Pļaviņas hydroelectric power plant and offers a broad view of the plant’s dam and the town of Pļaviņas.

 

N/A

The Kubalu school was opened in 1843, and for 28 years it was the only school for the children of peasants at the Dundaga Estate.  This is the oldest log schoolhouse in Latvia, with old benches, blackboards, ink and pens inside.  There are examples of texts written by schoolchildren in the 19th century.  There can be a few lessons that are learned at such an old school.  In the attic is an exhibition featuring the teacher and writer E. Dinsbergs, and they speak to the experiences of the long life of that man.  A restored ancillary building offers an exhibition about the history of the school, along with a collection of ethnographic objects.  Trails on the estate mark out the way in which the land was once used.  Visitors are welcome to examine the landscape and rest a bit, as well.

 

 

N/A

The museum has more than 120,000 objects which focus on the history of Liepāja and Southern Kurzeme from the Stone Age to the 19th century.  Another exhibition is focused on the life and work of the wood sculptor Miķelis Pankoks (1894-1983).  New art exhibitions are periodically staged at the museum.

N/A

This is the homestead where the distinguished Latvian author and social activist Jānis Rainis (1865-1929) spent his childhood.  He wrote about his childhood impressions in a compendium of poems, Five Sketch Notebooks From Dagda.  The home offers tours, creative workshops, exhibitions, etc.