No Name Description
N/A

The museum was opened in 1977 in an old farmhouse with a reed roof.  The museum features distinguished people from the surrounding area, events there, and the region’s history and traditions.

N/A

Atrodas Grāfu Plāteru parkā, blakus Krāslavas jaunajai pilij. Tas izvietojies vienā no 18. gs. celtajām muižas saimniecības ēkām. Muzeja ekspozīcija ir veidota interesantā veidā – 17 m garā laivā, kas (laiva ar pieciem airiem) ir pilsētas ģerbonis. Muzeja krājums iepazīstina ar Krāslavas novada vēsturi, sākot no akmens laikmeta līdz mūsdienām. Muzejā tiek organizētas Krāslavas mākslinieku izstādes.

N/A
Viļāni Museum of Local History. Permanent exposition of the town history from the ancient times to nowadays. Tours in Viļāni.
Working hours: Mon– Fri : 8.00 – 12.00,13.00 – 17.00, Sat., Sunday : closed
N/A

Eine Asstellung der Steine unter freiem Himmel, eingerichtet vom litauischen Ärzt Intas Vaclovas (1925 – 2007). Ein Museum der einzigartigen Steine.

N/A

This is the homestead where the distinguished Latvian author and social activist Jānis Rainis (1865-1929) spent his childhood.  He wrote about his childhood impressions in a compendium of poems, Five Sketch Notebooks From Dagda.  The home offers tours, creative workshops, exhibitions, etc.

N/A

The location requires a drive through the Pērlis forest and sparsely populated areas.  Silmači features an open-air stage, which was built in the 1980s for just one performance that was staged by the Latvian National Theatre during the Summer Solstice celebration in 1986.  Ever since then, Rūdolfs Blaumanis’ famous play “Tailor Days at Silmači” has been performed here during the season.  Alongside the stage is a museum that features information about the single performance in 1986.  An original manuscript of the play (1902) can also be viewed.

N/A

Ein am Ende des 19. Jh. gebautes Teil der Festung. Ein Museum, das Verbrechen totalitäre Regimes gegen Menschlichkeit wiederspiegelt.

N/A

“Vēveri” is located 7 km to the North of the centre of Vecpiebalga and offers a look at typical and authentic farms and craftsmen’s operations from the Piebalga landscape in the 19th century. You will wee ancient tools and household objects, as well as a recently restored windmill.

N/A

Jānis Čakste (1859-1927) was Latvia’s first president (1922-1927), and he began to build a house for himself in 1924.  In 1999, in honour of the 140th anniversary of the president’s birth, an exhibition was unveiled about his life, work and family.  Čakste’s office can be toured, and artists from Jelgava exhibit their works at the museum, as well.

N/A
Latgale Farmstead „Mežmalas”. The owners of the farmstead created an interesting collection of the old household items, tools and equipment of the 19th and 20th century. The visitors are offered to try plainting of the scale basket. Sale of baskets and herbal tea. Enjoy walking along the energetic path through the pine forest.
Working hours: on request
N/A

Gulbenes novada vēstures un mākslas muzejs dibināts 1982.gadā un apsaimnieko trīs ēkas – Vecgulbenes muižas oranžēriju, klēti un Sarkano pili. Oranžērijas ēkā izvietotas izstāžu zāles un apskatāmas divas pastāvīgās ekspozīcijas „Gulbenes vēsture” un „Jūlijs Madernieks”. Regulāri tiek atklātas dažāda satura tematiskās izstādes. Vecgulbenes muižas klētī apskatāma ekspozīcija „Tautsaimniecība”, kur apmeklētāji var iesaistīties vairākās aktivitātēs (malt ar rokas dzirnavām, pārbaudīt smaržas un taustes iemaņas, noteikt kokus, graudus, vīt virves u.c.).

N/A

It is the bicycle collection of father and son Jānis and Guntis Seregins, which is the only collection of antique bicycles in Latvia. They have been collecting cycles since 1977 when they joined the Antique Automobile Club and became fascinated with Latvia’s cycling traditions. The collection’s core is formed from technically unusual bicycles. In total, the museum has approximately 70 Latvian-made and used bicycles. Besides bicycles there are many other pieces of cycling ephemera relating to sport, cycle clubs and bicycle production. The museum has an extensive collection of bicycle brands, bringing together 1000 badges from all over the world. Guided excursions available.

N/A

The wagon commemorates the 2,916 innocent people from Skrunda and the surrounding area who were deported to Siberia in cattle wagons.  It is found at Stacijas Street 1 near the Skrunda railroad station.

N/A

The museum’s main house in Kärdla (open all year round) and branches in Kassari and Käina (open in summer) give an insight into wool manufacturing, seafaring, agriculture and manor estates on the island, islanders´ life through tsarist and Soviet regimes and independence. Classes on heritage are run in the Long House.

N/A

Found at Daugavpils Street 40 in Aglona, this is one of the largest private collections of military exhibits related to World War II in Latvia, with more than 1,000 objects arranged as a museum.  Visitors can see pistols, rifles, machine guns, mines, hand grenades, uniforms, military equipment, etc.  The owner is an enthusiast about history, Valdis Tumovs.

 

 

N/A

Located in the Salgale Parish, about 6 km from Iecava, is the home of the father of Edvarts Virza (born Jēkabs Eduards Lieksna, 1883-194), “Billītes,” to which the family moved in 1901.  Virza was a distinguished 20th century writer, poet, prose writer, publicist and translator.  He wrote many poems at “Billītes,” and in 1933, he released his legendary novel “Straumēni” about the lives of Latvian farmers.  A museum in honour of Virza is at the homestead today.  The horse chestnut tree that is alongside the home is the largest one in Latvia (a diameter of 4.2 m and a height of 0.4 m).  It is described in “Straumēni.”

N/A
The brothers Imants and Ivars Novožilovs have spent more than 10 years collecting local evidence of World War II – weapons, wrecks of armoured vehicles, the everyday objects of soldiers, etc., and they have now opened an exhibition of those items at the former headquarters of the local parish council.
N/A

Countryside life open-air museum. Various historical county buildings, everyday life tools, traditions etc.

N/A

This is a homestead that is three km from the centre of Vecpiebalga and is in a lovely place – the Incēni hill.  There is a museum here featuring the author of the legendary fairy tale “Pussy’s Mill” by Kārlis Skalbe (1879-1945).  The poet and prose writer built the building in 1926 and spent summers there from that year until 1944.  The museum was opened in 1987.  The western slope of Vaktskalns hill right alongside the museum offers a lovely view of Lake Alauksts.  The cremated remains of Skalbe and his wife, Lizete, were reinterred at the location in 1992 from Sweden, where the poet died.  There is a unique monument to them in the form of a stone boat.

N/A

The granary and cheese-making building of the former Seiksāte (Berghof) Estate houses a museum that was opened in 1985 and demonstrates the route of milk from the cow to finished dairy products.  You can try your hand at milking a cow and churning butter, and then you can taste what you have made.