No Name Description
N/A

The Museum is situated in the place, where during the times of World War II the battles between the soldiers of Latvian and Soviet armies took place.The main subject of the museum is the history of Latvians during World War II and the battle of More.

On the second floor of the museum the guide will tell you about the history of crafts and will show you the exhibition of household objects. Every year there are new exhibitions of the local craftsmen’s products . The visitors can buy souvenirs, jewellery and other crafts and goods.

N/A

The Naukšēni People’s Museum, where we tell intelligent people about those who were born at the NAUKŠĒNI DISCO, arrived here and stayed here.  We’ll look at how they talk, sing, think and love.

N/A

Muzejs Egļavā stāsta par mežsaimniecību Latvijā pirmskara un pēckara periodā. Eksponēti ir ne tikai mežsaimniecības darbarīki un piederumi, bet gan apskatāmi ir arī bijušā Balvu rajona teritorijā tapušie tekstīliji, keramikas un kokamatniecības paraugi. Bijušajā mežniecības mājā pieejamas guļamistabas viesu izmitināšanai.

N/A

Observatory which was built (1808. – 1810. g.) Southeast of Doma Hill is called pearl of Estonian's science. There's a museum inside.

N/A
Latgale Farmstead „Mežmalas”. The owners of the farmstead created an interesting collection of the old household items, tools and equipment of the 19th and 20th century. The visitors are offered to try plainting of the scale basket. Sale of baskets and herbal tea. Enjoy walking along the energetic path through the pine forest.
Working hours: on request
N/A

Saimnieks Valentīns Kuklis savā viensētā izveidojis no koka un citiem materiāliem un vēsturiskiem priekšmetiem veidotu brīvdabas kolekciju, kas savākta g.k. no Latgales lauku sētām. Daļa no vēsturiskajiem priekšmetiem ir izvietota saimnieka veidotā muzejā. Piedāvā ekskursiju un stāstījumu par savāktajiem darbarīkiem un sadzīves priekšmetiem.

N/A

The Lejenieki homestead is 1.1 km north of Bangas.  Vilis Plūdons (1874-1940) was an outstanding Latvian poet, a representative of the style of National Romanticism, and a schoolteacher.  His real name was Vilis Lejnieks, and he was born in at the Lejenieki homestead in the Bauska region.  His father was Jānis Lejnieks.  As a boy, Vilis was enchanted by fairy tales told by his granny and by folk songs that she sang.  Plūdons is buried nearby in the family cemetery.  Lejenieki offers an exhibition about the poet’s life and work.  The local sauna features sculptures of rabbits, thus recalling Plūdons’ poem, “Rabbit Sauna.”

N/A

The museum opened in 2007 and displays a 180 mm gun barrel, reconstruction of a Soviet restricted border zone, a civil defence shelter, armoured vehicles, a border guard boat and naval mines. Exhibited in the main building are a maritime surveillance radar in its original position, various military items, “Lenin´s corner” and weapons and barracks rooms.

N/A

The Baltic Sea gave this territory one of the old names of Jūrkalne – Felixberg, and people still talk about the interesting legend that is the origin of the name.  Several wrecked ships have been found in the Baltic Sea off the coast of Jūrkalne.  An exhibition in the museum visualises the underwater world as the deck of a ship that has sunk into the depths of the sea.  The exhibition focuses on the cultural and historical heritage of underwater Latvia, allowing visitors to learn all about the history of sailing ships, steamships and other objects that have been raised from the depths.  Small children will start to learn about the underwater world, and researchers with broader knowledge will find something new here.

N/A

Atrodas Skolas ielā 12, Priekules pamatskolā. Tās krājumā ir plašs Priekules novadā iegūto vēsturisko liecību klāsts – sadzīves priekšmeti, darbarīki, dokumenti, padomju gados izsūtīto un represēto cilvēku atmiņu stāsti u.c. liecības, kā arī Priekules skolu attīstības vēsture.

N/A

Found on the right bank of the Saka River at Dzintaru Street 1, the museum is in the first red brick and fieldstone building in Pāvilosta.  It was built in 1879 for ship pilots.  The museum focuses on the history of the local region, particularly in terms of fishing and seafaring.  Among the exhibits are stone and bone axes, bronze brooches and belts, as well as a unique honey press, all of which have been found in the Saka Parish.  Alongside the museum is a boathouse with larger exhibits.  A mansard that was opened in 2012 is a site for exhibitions and thematic events.  The museum’s phone number is +371-6349-8276.  Make sure that you also visit the oldest part of Pāvilosta – Āķgals, which is a typical coastline village from the 19th and early 20th century.

N/A
In 1916, during the German military occupation of Latvia, prisoners of war were put to work in installing narrow-gauge railroads via which the Germans exported Latvian timber. A narrow-gauge rail network was built through the forests and across the swamps of the Viesīte area. The track width was round 600 mm, and there was a total of 130 km of tracks to connect Viesīte (the central station) to Nereta, Aknīste, Jēkabpils and Daudzeva. The train was used after world War II to transport timber and passengers. The last trip along the line occurred on August 31, 1972. You can tour the museum individually or with the assistance of a guide. You’ll see an Mi-635 locomotive, wagons for passengers and cargo, a platform to transport timber materials, and two trolleys.
N/A

Located in the Salgale Parish, about 6 km from Iecava, is the home of the father of Edvarts Virza (born Jēkabs Eduards Lieksna, 1883-194), “Billītes,” to which the family moved in 1901.  Virza was a distinguished 20th century writer, poet, prose writer, publicist and translator.  He wrote many poems at “Billītes,” and in 1933, he released his legendary novel “Straumēni” about the lives of Latvian farmers.  A museum in honour of Virza is at the homestead today.  The horse chestnut tree that is alongside the home is the largest one in Latvia (a diameter of 4.2 m and a height of 0.4 m).  It is described in “Straumēni.”

N/A

This exhibition features the Pļaviņas hydroelectric power plant as a unique architectural building with unique engineering elements.  It is the largest producer of electricity in the Baltic States and one of the largest in Europe.  The exhibition speaks to the construction of the plant and major aspects of its operations.  There is a model of the plant, as well as various types of equipment that are used to ensure its operations.  Visitors will see a diver's suit, as well as various documents and photographs about the operations and reconstruction of the plant, the history of Aizkraukle, and the lives of people who worked at the plant.  Tours are available of the machine room of the plant, a look at the plant from a viewing platform, and a chance to learn more about the buildings as such.

 

 

N/A

Kakaiši is found 1 km to the South-West from Vecpiebalga, in the tiny village of Kakaiši. The Latvian writer Antons Austriņš (1884-1934) was born there and went to school in Vecpiebalga.  Austriņš is best known for the short story collection “Puiškans” (1931).  The museum features various rural objects, things associated with the author, and exhibits such as his collected works and other books that are worth visiting in the company of a guide.

N/A

Ein am Ende des 19. Jh. gebautes Teil der Festung. Ein Museum, das Verbrechen totalitäre Regimes gegen Menschlichkeit wiederspiegelt.

N/A

This is another place (at A. Brodeles Street 7) which must certainly be visited by those who are interested in the cultural environment of the historical region of Selonia. The museum was established in 2000, and much of its exhibition can be found at the depot of the former narrow-gauge railroad (the depot was built in 1948, and the railroad operated between 1916 and 1972). There you can see a restored locomotive, a passenger wagon, a trolley, etc. The exhibits reflect the lives of major personalities in and around Viesīte, also looking at events and the cultural heritage. There are wood processing and textile workshops at the museum. Outside the building is a fragment from the narrow gauge railroad, along with a water pump.

N/A

Located at Daugavas Street 58 in Skrīveri, this was the first home of the Andrejs Upītis (1877-1970).  It was built in 1908, but the one that is there now was built on the foundations of the first one in 1921.  The building houses a museum which features the life and work of the writer, including the writing his great novel “The Green Earth.”  There is a garden around the building.  In 1952, Upītis gifted the house and garden to the state.  The museum offers tours and educational programmes.

N/A

This facility is in the historical village of Pape in Southern Kurzeme.  Accommodations are available in an historical granary with a roof made of reeds.  It is appropriate for inhabitation during the late spring, the summer and the early fall.  There are three bedrooms, a small front room and a kitchen, with two floors in all.  The building will fit eight people.  This is an ideal location for creative camps, plenary sessions, master workshops and other activities.  There are tenting areas for as many as 80 people.  The Mikjāņi farm observes local traditions and offers traditional foods such as “herring on coals,” white butter with boiled potatoes, fish soup, etc., for visitors who apply for a meal in advance.  This offer is only available to groups which register in advance.

N/A

The watermill was built in the 1880s; its machinery comes from the 1930s and is still in good working order. The miller starts the turbine when visitors arrive so they can see the entire process of grinding grain into flour, manna or pearls. The Miller´s wife then treats you to a hot bun and drink. Holidays of the Estonian national calendar are celebrated with special events at the mill.