No Name Description
N/A
„Upmaļi” is the family house of writer Janis Klīdzējs who has written 8 novels, 11 storybooks, 2 essay books and reflections about Latgalian catholic-Latvian mentality. Janis Streičs (famous Latvian film director) shot a film based on the novel of Janis Klīdzējs called „The Child of a Man”.
N/A

In 1804 Käsmu founded the first Estonian naval school and from 1798 – 1920 built more than 40 ships. Now there is a museum about seafaring. 

N/A

Parkā blakus pusloka tiltiņam ir novietotas trīs milzīgas dzelzs atslēgas, kuras balsta akmens mūris un metāla arkas. Tās simbolizē trīs vēsturiskos centrus un to vienotību – Siguldu, Turaidu, Krimuldu. Dobēs pie šī objekta sezonāli zied dažādi kultūraugi. 

N/A

Near Mākoņkalns hill there is a trail that is mowed in the summer and leads to several historical rocks – Plakanais (Flat) rock, Āža muguras (Ram's Back) rock (on which you can clamber), and the Jaunstašuļi Velna pēdas (Devil's Footprint) rock, on the surface of which is a shape similar to a human footprint.  There are signs along the side of the road leading to the trail.

N/A

Located on the left bank of the Venta River 100 m to the Northwest of the Liepāja (A9) highway bridge across the river.  The antique castle hill was the site of a Livonian Order that existed from the 14th to the 18th century before being sacked during the Great Northern War.  No part of the castle has survived.  A stage was built on the castle hill in 1987, and it is a popular venue for various events.  The hill is surrounded by a park with wooden chairs that were designed by the sculptor Ģirts Burvis in honour of the kings of Courland.  There is a viewing platform, and there are legends about underground passages and a white lady who appears only once every 100 years.

N/A

Auch Königstor (Kuningavärav) genannt. Im Barockstil gebaut ist ein Teil der früheren mittelalterlichen Stadtbefestigung. Der Beginn des alten Postweges.

N/A

The historic stone, on which there is carved over 200 years old boundary-mark, sets the border between the Duchy of Courland and the Russian province. Nowadays, it sets the Babīte and Jelgava district boundary. The stone lies to the East of Kalnciems–Peat road (the south of the swamp Labais purvs) at the edge of a forest firebreak and it can be hard to find. To this end, the description of the road map may help: around 400 m south of the car parking lot at Lily Lake from Kalnciems-Peat road to the right (in the east) turns a forest road which leads down from hills Krāču kalni. It should be around 170 m to go until it abruptly turns to the right (to the southeast). Then you must go in this direction until after ~ 0.5 km to turn to the northeast where after further ~ 0.4 km of the current forest road intersection turn to the north. After ~ 0.4 km turn right (to the east) on a big firebreak, on the left (the north) side of which behind the drainage ditch during the non-leaf period there can be seen a rounded stone. Due to the poor condition of roads, the stone can be reached only on foot.

N/A

Находится на ул. Базницас, д. 17. Здание построено в XVII веке, как жилой дом кулдигского бургомистра. В 1701 году здесь гостил король Швеции Карл XII, который в передней оставил огромный сундук (2 х 2,5 м), на который после реставрации можно взглянуть и сегодня.

N/A

A place fraught with many legends and ghost stories about the old burial mound at the church of Mazirbe, an ancient tomb covered by stones– the only known grave of warewolves in Latvia.

N/A

In Metsanurme Village Centre you can see restored old threshing barn, limestone barn oven and few tools that were used ages ago. You could be also interested in seeing an outdoor exhibition which focuses on historical agricultural tools. All of this is made to look interesting to not only locals but also visitors.

N/A

Setomaa in South-East Estonia is a unique area for its people (the Seto) and culture. The historic location in the borderland between East and West, straddling two languages and cultures has shaped the local language, life style, clothes and food. A very specific type of singing – leelo – is incorporated in the UNESCO list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
Visitors are advised to follow the Seto Külävüü route from Võõpsu to Luhamaa through many villages to better understand the area.
Traditional Seto food is found at Seto Teahouse (tsäimaja) (+372 505 4673, www.setomuuseum.ee) in Värska and at Taarka Tarõ in the Seto Community Centre in Obinitsa (+372 5620 3374, http://taarkatare.com). Catering for groups should be booked in advance, cultural shows can also be booked.

N/A

Cēsu centrālais laukums – Vienības laukums (20.gs.sākumā – Konventa laukums) – atgādina par Cēsu kauju notikumumiem, kuru nozīme un ikviena dalībnieka ieguldījums aprakstīti devīzē uz pieminekļa “No zobena saule lēca”. Cēsu kaujas 1019.gada jūnijā bija svarīgs Latvijas valstiskuma vēstures pagrieziena punkts, kad apvienotais latviešu un igauņu karaspēks sakāva vācu landesvēru, kas apdraudēja Baltijas valstu pastāvēšanu. Vienības laukums turpina būt par nozīmīgu notikumu liecinieku. 1989.gada 23.augustā daudzu cēsnieku ceļi veda uz Vienības laukumu, kuram cauri vijās Baltijas ceļš.

N/A

Salos, Vaišnoriškė, Strazdai, Šuminai sind die bewohnten Dörfe im Augštaitija- Nationalpark, in denen historische Einzelgehöfte mit Holzgebäuden erhalten sind.

N/A

Altja village in Lahemaa National Park was first recorded in writing in 1465. It is a typical seaside village with houses along one street. Traditional farmsteads of Uustalu and Toomarahva from the late 19th C are open to visitors. Renovated fishnet sheds are located on Altja Cape. The village has a swing and a tavern (Altja Kõrts) providing national food 

N/A

Eine der ältesten Ortschaften Litauens. Schon im 14. Jh befand sich hier eine Holzburg. Der 20 m hohe Merķine-Burgberg an der Mündung der Flüsse Merkys und Nemunas.

N/A

Approximately 200 metres to the North-East from the Liv People's Centre, along the Mazirbe-Košrags road, there is the Seppes homestead.  The little log granary was built in the 1920s and 1930s by an Estonian fisherman and builder who arrived in Mazirbe from Saaremaa.  He was called Jēkabs Jaga.  On the other side of the road is the Kalši home, which was built in the early 20th century.  It has been restored, but the bricks that were made in a local kiln were preserved for its walls.

N/A

Temple Hill is steep (with artificially created steepness) and about 30 m high, and it is opposite Marijas Island.  It is an ancient Lettigalian castle hill, 80 m long and 40 m wide, with several artificial ramparts.  One of the oldest objects found in the region is an axe from the 2nd to 3rd millennium BC.   Archaeologists believe that the island was populated at that time.  There was a Lettigalian castle on the hill during the 10th and 11th century, but it was sacked by the Holy Crusade.  The surface of the castle hill was transformed comparatively recently in 1807, when a granite rotunda was built there in honour of Russian Field Marshall Sheremetev and Swedish captain Wulff.  The view of Lake Alūksne and the town is one of the most beautiful ones in all Vidzeme.  The Sun Bridge (1937) is also worth a look.  A wooden viewing platform is nearby.

N/A

This ancient Courlandian castle hill has remnants of an ancient city.  Historical sources indicate that in 1263, the Courlandians handed the castle over to the Livonian Order without a battle and that the castle was then burned down.  The name of the place, Skābaržkalns, has to do with the name of the city, because hornbeam trees in the area were once known as grobi.

N/A
Eine alte Ortschaft am linken Ufer des Flusses Nemunas. Liškiava-Kirche und Kloster, heiliger Berg und Burgberg mit den Ruinen der am Ende des 14. Jh unter Leitung von Vytautas der Großen gebauten Burg. Ein Kultstein mit einem Kühstapfen.
N/A

Atrodas Vārtājas ielejas labajā krastā un labi saskatāms no Priekules – Grobiņas (P106) ceļa. Senās kuršu zemes – Piemares pilskalns, kas vēstures avotos pirmo reizi minēts 1253. gadā – līgumā starp Kurzemes bīskapu un Livonijas ordeni. Viens no lielākajiem Dienvidkurzemes pilskalniem. Iespējams, ka iepriekš – arī sens kulta kalns. Pagājušā gadsimta sešdesmitajos gados veiktajos arheoloģiskajos izrakumos konstatēts, ka pilskalns bijis apdzīvots jau vidējā dzelzs laikmetā. Pie tā konstatēta liela senspilsētas vieta.