No Name Description
N/A
Rimši Old-Believers Prayer House. The church was built in the beginning of the 20th century.
N/A
Sts. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church of Ozolmuiža was built in 1820 by the foundation of counts Plāteri-Zībergi. It is a stone building with a small bell tower. The church has a huge stone altar with four columns and a massive cross. It is a monument of state importance.
N/A
Lipuški Old-Believers Prayer House was built in 1893 at lake Rāzna in village Lipuški. In former days, it was one of the largest Old- Believers parishes in the Baltic countries; you will notice Old-Believers cemeteries that are placed in the neighbourhood.
N/A

The first church in Piņķi was made of wood.  The idea of building a new church emerged in the 1850s, and the cornerstone for a design by the architect J.D. Felsco was laid on May 25, 1872.  The church that is there today was completed in 1874.  The nine-register organ was built by the distinguished organ builder Wilhelm Sauer in 1890.  On July 17, 1916, the 5th Latvian Riflemen’s Battalion was on its way to the front lines at Smārde and stopped at the Piņķi Estate.  Col Jukums Vācietis delivered a sermon at the church on that date (though not all historians agree that he did so), and that has gone down in history as one of the most important events of the day.  The historical even inspired Aleksandrs Čaks to write the poem “Sermon at the Piņķi Church.”  The church is a cultural monument and can be toured.  It is lit up at night.  Alongside the stone is a rock that was installed in commemoration of the Latvian riflemen.

N/A
Bоrisovas St. Nikolay Old-Believers Prayer House was built in the period of 1911 – 1921 . The different feature of the Prayer House is a brick building placed on the hill. The bell of the temple was specially ordered and brought from St. Petersburg. The bell has a very soft sound.
N/A
The Crucifix of Ružina is made of wood according to old Latgalian traditions.
N/A

The Lode (Apši) Lutheran Church is between Lake Bānūži and Lake Ilze. It is a unique example of wooden architecture and dates back to 1780. The log church had a straw roof until the early 20th century, at which point a shingled roof was installed instead.

N/A

The church has a non-traditional design and layout: the altar is in the middle but the pulpit- above the altar. The church has also an original bell tower with a bell casted in 1634. The present wooden interior was created by the students of Riga Crafts High School. Next to the church there are ruins of the old church and the rectory where at the end of the 18th century as a tutor worked Garlieb Merkel who in Liepupe observed events used in his famous book "Latvians".

N/A

Храм построен в 1766 г., а колокольня возводилась в 1897 году. Орган, построенный в 1859 году органным мастером Ансисом Динсбергсом, считается старейшим органом Латвии работы латышского мастера. Запрестольный образ «Пасхальное утро» создан Янисом Розенталсом в 1912 году. Церковь можно осмотреть изнутри.

N/A

The church was built in 1835, and its greatest treasure is the organ, which was built by Karl Bittner in 1854.  The manse is being restored.  Boats are available for rental.

N/A

Atrodas t.s. Baznīcu kalnā - Tautas ielā 2. Šo uzskata par vienu no krāšņākajiem Latvijas pareizticīgo dievnamiem, kura ārējo veidolu izrotā daudzo torņu kupoli. Tā celta 1905. g. kā Dinaburgas garnizona baznīca ar daudziem nozīmīgiem mākslas pieminekļiem interjerā, t.sk. 19. gs. ikonām. Dievnams ir ikdienā atvērts un apskatāms no iekšpuses.

N/A

The Lutheran Church of St John in Aizpute is on Beidas Hill, which is near the steep river valley of the Tebra River and the Dzirnavdīķis pond which the river has created. The church is on an ancient Courlandian castle hill. The current Gothic appearance of the church dates back to 1860, when it was rebuilt. The tower dates back to 1730. This is one of the oldest churches in Kurzeme, and it features an interesting interior with many artistic monuments.

N/A

Pastāv uzskats, ka tieši Rubenē izveidojusies pirmā latviešu draudze. Baznīcas altārdaļa būvēta jau 14.gs., bet pati baznīca savu pašreizējo izskatu ieguvusi 1739. gadā.Būtiska baznīcas interjera sastāvdaļa ir Ķieģeļu muižas mantinieces Barbaras Helēnas fon Budbergas 1762. gadā dāvinātais kroņlukturis ar Krievijas impērijas divgalvaino ērgli un zaru ornamentiem uz bumbas. Baznīcā redzama arī zīme (1869. g.), kas ir veltīta pusgadsimtam kopš dzimtbūšanas atcelšanas.

Pastāv vairākas teikas par Rubenes baznīcas nosaukuma rašanos. Viena no tām vēsta, ka, sargājot baznīcu no velna, tās sienā iemūrēta sieviete un vīrietis, kura vārds bijis Rubens. Baznīca esot nosaukta viņam par godu.Vēl viena versija vēsta, ka baznīcas nosaukums cēlies no rubeņa, kas sēdējis kādā no kokiem, kas vēlāk izmantots baznīcas celtniecībā.

N/A

Vecauces ev. lut. baznīca ir valsts nozīmes arhitektūras piemineklis. Baznīca pirmo reizi uzcelta kā koka būve 1667. gadā, bet pēc zibens spēriena 1729. gadā tā nodega. Mūra baznīca celta 1744. gadā, savukārt 1866.gadā Mēdemu valdīšanas laikā baznīcu paplašināja līdz 500 sēdvietām, izgatavoja jaunu altāri, kanceli un uzstādīja Liepājas ērģeļmeistara Kārļa Hermaņa būvētas ērģeles. meklētājiem piedāvā doties interesantā, izklaidējošā un informatīvā ekskursijā pa baznīcu, apskatot ekspozīciju "Auce pirmās Latvijas brīvvalsts laikā" un baznīcas bibliotēku (Baznīcas grāmatas (pirmās Latvijas brīvvalsts laiks – 1918.-40.g., vācu laiks, padomju laiks un šodiena)). Baznīcā izveidotajā Mākslas telpā apskatei tiek piedāvātas vairākas unikālas ekspozīcijas: skolotājas Jadvigas Kupčes grāmatu un personīgo lietu ekspozīcija, kantātes “Dievs Tava zeme deg” vārdu autora Andreja Eglīša ekspozīcija, izcilā flamenko ģitārista Andreja Kārkliņa un režisora Kārļa Pamšes ekspozīcijas.

N/A

 The Orthodox Church and Cloister of the Holy Spirit and the Orthodox Church of St Nicholas the Miracle Maker are found at Brīvības Street 200 in Jēkabpils. The Byzantine Church of the Holy Spirit was built between 1853 and 1886 to replace a wooden church which had been built in the latter half of the 17th century and burned down in 1773. Duke Jacob of the Duchy of Courland supplied the timber for the old church. The cloister was alongside the church. On Second Easter in 1903, the church caught on fire, and the only icon rescued was a painting of the Virgin Mary. The church suffered damage during World War I and was restored in 1933. Alongside the Church of the Holy Spirit is the oldest church in Jēkabpils – the oldest stone church in the city, which is named after St Nicholas the Miracle Maker and was erected in 1774. This is a very small church, just 17 x 19.5 m. The cloister of the Church of the Holy Spirit operates the church today, and it can be viewed from the inside. The stone fence that surrounds the complex is massive, but atypical of urban environments in Latvia.

 

N/A
The Crucifix of Kurpinīki is known also as the place where Janis Streičs shot some scenes of the movie „The Child of a Man”. Long time ago this crucifix was situated in the courtyard of writer’s grandfather Donat Klidzejs in the USA.
N/A

Atrodas Grobiņas centrā, Dzērves laukuma malā. Pirmā baznīca Grobiņa bija celta jau ap 1560. g., bet nākamā – 1596. g. celtā iznīcināta 1659. g. zviedru iebrukuma laikā. Pēc Kurzemes un Zemgales hercoga Jēkaba Ketlera iniciatīvas 1664. g. tiek uzcelts jauns dievnams, ko atjauno 1892. gadā. Tas dedzis 2. pasaules kara laikā, bet vēlāk atkal atjaunots. Šobrīd notiek altāra restaurācijas darbi.

N/A

This is the centre for Catholicism in Latvia and a destination for pilgrims from all around the world.  Its origins date back to 1699, when the Dominican Order established a cloister.  One year later, it built the first wooden church.  The brick Church of St Dominic and the buildings of the cloister were erected between 1768 and 1800.  The Baroque church is distinguished by two towers that are 60 metres high.  The pulpit, organ prospectus, organ, prayer bench and pews come from the 18th century, while the side altars date back to the early 19th century.  The central altar includes the painting “The Miraculous Mother of God of Aglona,” which is thought to have healing properties.  For that reason, it is unveiled only during important events.  In advance of a visit to Latvia by Pope John Paul II in 1993, the complex underwent major rebuilding and restoration.  On August 15 each year, hundreds and thousands of pilgrims arrive in Aglona to celebrate the assumption of the Virgin Mary.  The holy stream of Aglona is 100 metres to the East of the basilica.

N/A
St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church of Zosna. The church was built in 1800 by the donations of local people; it is devoted to Saint Michael. The church is built on the stone foundation and panelled with boards. It has a small square tower that was restored in 1994.
N/A

Meklējama pilsētas centrā - Tirgus laukumā 11. Dievnams uzcelts 1886. g. Ēkā atrodas vairāki nozīmīgi mākslas pieminekļi – gleznas, krucifikss (18. gs.) u.c. Baznīcas dārzā apskatāma skulptūra “Latgales māte” (tēlnieks B. Buls) un piemineklis politiski represēto piemiņai (tēlniece V. Dzintare). Baznīca ir apskatāma arī no iekšpuses.