No Name Description
N/A

Saldus is mentioned in the historical documents already in 1253. Until the 13th century an ancient Cours castle Salden was located here, which is also represented in the coat of arms of the town. Around the 1341 Livonian Order built a castle near the Cours hill fort, where settlement formed. Its peak of development, like the other settlements of Courland, was during the reign of Duke Jacob 1642 – 1682. 1856 is mentioned as the year of the foundation of Saldus, when restoration of town perished during the Northern War begun. At the end of the World War II a big fights took place at the town, but town remained in German-occupied part of Latvian until the May 8, 1945. Modern Saldus attracts with its activities - town days, the music festival "Saldus Saule", as well as a variety of sightseeing objects, among which A/S 'Druvas Partika" can be mentioned, where you can watch how the ice cream is made and Saldus Food Factory, where you can taste the delicious candy "Gotina" and watch the production process.

N/A

Although out of 104 village houses 97 were destroyed during World War I, at the end of the 30ies of the 20th century Lapmezciems "recovered" fast, and one of the most powerful coastal fishermen cooperatives in Latvia were operating in it. During the Soviet times here one of the largest fishery collective farms – "Selga" was founded here, the blocks of which can be seen at the mouth of the Siliņupe River. Today Lapmezciems is a popular area for summer cottages, a recreation and bathing place. As an interesting history monument of fishery the sedum of Lapmezciems is available for viewing – it is the former wharf of fishing boats, where fishermen built nest cabins and stored their equipment. Between Pīlādži Street and the left bank of the Siliņupe River in the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC settlement of fishermen and hunters were located, where a memorial stone is erected. This is the most ancient known location populated by humans within the territory of Kemeri National Park. Part of the findings is displayed at Lapmezciems museum, where local history research exposition is formed and materials about Finnish Jeager fights within the territory of Klapkalnciems are gathered.

N/A

Ļoti skaists un ainavisks etnogrāfiskais ciems Balošas (Baluošas) ezera ziemeļu krastā, netālu no diviem iepriekš minētajiem ciemiem. Te apskatāmas interesantas un skaistas koka ēkas, kas celtas no guļbaļķiem, ar niedru vai lubiņu jumtiem un izrotātas ar dažāda veida dekoratīvajiem elementiem. Pirmo reizi rakstos Šumini minēti 1784. g. Savu vārdu ciems ieguva no kādreiz dzīvojošas ģimenes uzvārda. Kā interesantākā ir jāpiemin sena klēts.

N/A

The smallest city in Latvia was given the rank of a city in 1893.  The historical Durbe battle occurred here in 1260, with troops from the Livonian Order and the German Order on one side and the Samogitian tribe on the other, joined by Courlandians who abandoned the order.  The master of the order, Hornhusen, fell in battle, and the order was defeated.  The first foreign minister of Latvia, Zigfrīds Anna Meierovics, was born in Durbe in 1887.

N/A

One of the youngest Latvian towns, in 2013 it will celebrate its twenty year anniversary. A number of significant scientific institutions in a Latvian scale is located in Salaspils (in Soviet times it was built as a science centre) - Institute of Biology, Institute of Inorganic Chemistry, Institute of Physics, National Botanic Gardens, former Salaspils nuclear reactor and the Forest Research Institute "Silava". Over the last decade the infrastructure has been developed, as well as wide areas of private houses are developed. In 1996 a new Catholic church was built in Salaspils. Most of the town residents commute each day to Riga for work.

N/A
Pilsētā nebija lielu rūpniecības uzņēmumu, un tās iedzīvotāji nodarbojās galvenokārt ar amatniecību, tirdzniecību un lauksaimniecību. Ilūkste tika pilnībā nopostīta 1. pasaules kara laikā un smagi cieta arī 2. pasaules kara laikā. Šodien Ilūkste ir klusa pierobežas mazpilsēta, ko ieskauj gleznains dabas apvidus. Apskates objekti: bijušā jezuītu klostera ēka un Ilūkstes katoļu baznīca.
N/A

Kuldiga is deservedly considered the most beautiful small town of medieval times in Latvia. Instead of it already in the 13th century the Bandava centre of the ancient Cours land was located. In 1242 construction of stone castle was begun at Venta Falls by the Livonian Order. Populated area formed beside the castle, which was the first to acquire the rights of a city in Kurzeme (in 1378). Significant was also its participation in the Hanza Union. From 1561 until 1795 Kuldīga was the capital city of Kurzeme Dukedom. Naturally, in the first half of the 17th century it experienced rapid economic growth, which was terminated by the beginning of the Northern War and plague epidemic. The pride of Kurzeme residents and the lack of larger industrial objects was the reason, why during the Soviet times larger masses of immigrants did not flood the city, therefore today Kuldiga is one of the most Latvian cities in Kurzeme. It is worth to visit Kuldiga and stay there for more than one day, because there is plenty to do here. Nature fans may observe the flying fish, but for researchers of cultural history a really vast field of work opens here.

N/A

Košrags is one of the most unusual Liv fishing villages in Latvia. From the road you can see several houses which were built for new farms in the early 20th century (Vāldamō, Virgo) or small rooms (Fīlmaņi, Silkalni) and their ancillary buildings (Norpiedagi). One of the largest farms here is the oldest one in the village – Anduļi, which dates back to 1680. The farm has a residential house, a threshing barn, a granary and a smokehouse made of a boat that was cut in half. Žoki was the farm which, in the mid-19th century, hosted the first school at which Liv children could learn to read. Several buildings from the late 19th or early 20th century have survived at Tilmači.

N/A

The city of wind, amber and musicians. In the literature sources Liepaja was mentioned for the first time in 1253. The city strived as a trade harbour already at the end of the 16th century. Especially important was the ruling period of Kurzeme Dukes Jacob and Friedrich, when the export and import of Lithuania and Kurzeme goods was provided through Liepaja harbour. Instead of the Līva River that was filled with dune sand a channel was excavated and wharf was formed. The growth of the city continued in the 18th century also after the Northern War and the plague epidemic. When in 1795 Kurzeme was added to the Russian Empire, as one of the most important western harbours of the Empire the harbour of Liepaja developed even more rapidly. From the end of the 18th century until the 19th century Liepaja also became a popular recreation place for the aristocrats of Petersburg. At the end of the 19th century the construction works of War Port and fortress begun. The city became a military strategic place. It suffered hard during World War II. In 1967 the sea trade harbour terminated its operation in Liepaja and Liepaja became a closed city where the War Port was "a city within a city". Today the War Port and its offer is one of the top tourism spots in Latvia.

N/A

The Lutheran Church of Krimulda is considered one of the oldest churches in Latvia. It was originally built in the 13th century, soon after the conquest of Kubesele and later rebuilt many times. Near the church a meditation labyrinth "Lily Flower" is set up. When Liv chief Kaupo fell during the battle at Viljandi in 1217, according to the legend, the ash was buried at the church. A small hill adjacent to Runtinupite (Runtins) is popularly known as a grave site of Kaupo, at its right bank is located ~7 m long, artificially dug Kubesele or Runtin cave. On the left bank of Runtinupite columns the Kubesele hill fort. Kubesele nature trail starts at the church. This trail leads to the Gauja River, where the Great (Runtina) stone lies. Here can be seen anchor pads installed by Gauja raftsmen. Krimulda medieval castle (4 km east of Krimulda Church) was built the second half of the 13th century in the place where the right bank of Gauja valley is split by deep ravine of Vikmeste. Castle (residence of Riga dome capitol - Riga's Archbishop Council) was an imposing building, whose big inner yard was included by 1.5 m thick defensive wall. In 1601, while retreating, Swedish military leader Heinrich Lieven blasted Krimulda castle. Now at the hill fort, grown with the forest a small castle ruins can be seen. Nearby is located air cableway and starts Krimulda mountain road. Located nearby Krimulda manor was first mentioned in writings in the 15th century. Present manor castle was built in the 19th century in neoclassical style (owner - First Lieven). During the twenties of the 20th century, the castle after its alienation became a property of the Latvian Red Cross, which established here children's sanatorium. Nowadays the castle houses rehabilitation hospital "Krimulda", but from the farm buildings, manor stables, barn, servant, manager houses and the so-called Swiss Cottage and Park have been preserved. Thematic tours are offered here. If we go down the Gauja by boat, then we will be able to take a close look at about 15 m high Velnalas cliffs. They can be well seen also from the opposite - left bank of Gauja (resting place is established). In the middle of the cliff about 19 m deep and 4.7 m high Krimulda Velnala cave is located. If we go from the Velnala cave cliffs along the lower part of the right bank of Gauja in Turaida direction, you will see Pikenes cliff, rich with sandstone outcrops. At its foot ~ 1 km long Pikenes beaver trail is established. The Little Devil's Cave (5 m long) is on the side of the trail, with the Gudribas (Wisdom) spring that springs out of the cave, as well as Aunapieres cave which is the same length as Devils cave. Small oxbow lakes also can be seen.

N/A

Saunags was first mentioned in historical sources in 1310. During the thirties of the last century largest was Nilinu farm and Kruminu ranch. During this time at Saunags 49 people was able to speak Liv language, of which only 11 used it as an everyday spoken language. In 1936, Saunaga primary school was moved from Lazhi in Vaide to Paulu house. There was a store in Saunags, the owner of which Karl Tilman owned sprat brinery. People of Saunags were fishing, as well as harvested wood at Undzhava - Shlitere at the foot of the Zilie Mountain forests. Today, during the winter time only six farms in the village is inhibited. Other people come to Saunags mainly during the summer.

N/A

Seda is one of the most unusual towns in Latvia. It began its life as a housing area for people from the local peat moss factory, and that happened in the 1950s and 1960s. This is a “vivid” example of Soviet architecture, with a central square (complete with a monument to the Leader) and streets radiating from it. Worth a visit is the cultural centre at the end of Uzvaras Street. It is a great example of so-called Stalinist Classicism architecture.

N/A

The history of Cēsis begins at the Riekstu hill, which is 18 m high and the surrounding area.  There was a wooden castle built by the Vendian tribe that stood there from the 11th to the 13th century.  The hill is in the central part of the castle’s park, and it offers a fine view of the park, a pond and the ruins of the Cēsis Castle.  A long staircase leads to the hill.  The Cēsis Castle was built in the early 13th century as the residence of masters of the Livonian Order, and it was one of the most fortified forts in the Baltic region.  Alongside is the New Cēsis Castle, which was built in 1777 in a place where gate fortifications had been before.  The building houses the Cēsis Museum of History and Art, and an annex contains the Castle Visitor Centre and the Cēsis Tourism Information Centre.  From the tower of the castle, we get a good view of the castle ruins, St John’s Lutheran Church and the northern stretches of the city.  Opposite the new castle is the stable of the Cēsis Castle Estate and a wheelhouse (both from the first half of the 19th century).  Today these house the Cēsis Exhibition Hall.  Other buildings include a granary, a hut for coachmen and an old brewery.  On the other side of the street is the romantic May park, which was installed during the 1830s.  Streets in Cēsis include Lielā Katrīna, Mazā Katrīna, Mazā Kalēju, Kalēju and Lielā Līvu streets and Līvu square with wooden buildings from the late 18th and early 19th century.  Torņa Street stretches along the walls of the Medieval castle.  Outside the church is a sculpture, “As the Centuries Pass By,” and legend has it that anyone who rubs the lantern of the Old Time Man can see the future.  One of the most impressive buildings in Cēsis is St John’s Lutheran Church, which was built in the late 13th century by the Livonian Order.  The Roman-style three-segment basilica has elements of Gothic design and a 65 m steeple that was installed in 1853.  The building was reconstructed several times during the 20th century and contains grave plaques relates to masters of the Livonian Order and local bishops.  The pulpit dates back to 1748, the oak altar was manufactured in 1858, and the altar painting “Crucified One” was painted in 1862.  The windows of the altar part of the church contain artistically valuable stained glass.  The organ was manufactured in 1907 by the E.F. Walker firm, and it is one of the best concert organs in Latvia.  The solar clock with the number 1744 is in the south-wester corner of the church.  It is worth scaling the viewing tower of the church.  At its foot is Rose Square, which was a market square from the mid-13th century until 1927 and was restored in 2008.  This is the central square in the city.  During the Middle Ages, a punishment pole and the city well were here.  Rīgas Street has been the main street in the old part of the city from the very start, and here we find most of the architecturally distinguished buildings from the 18th and 19th century – the former city hall, the Fābers house and the Princess house.  At one end of the street is Liv Square, where there a church, cemetery and the Rīga gate in the city’s walls existed in the 13th century.  Today the square is decorated by a lighted fountain at a place where a well was found in the 13th century.  On the other end of the street we find a reconstruction of the foundations of the Rauna gate from the 14th and 15th century, offering a good look at Medieval walls and the size and strength of the gates.  It is commonly claimed that the national flag of Latvia was born in Cēsis, but it must be emphasised that the flag that is mentioned in chronicles was designed in Cēsis in 1279 as the ideological prototype of the current Latvian flag, while the story of the first national flag actually comes from Valmiera, where it was sewn in 1916.

N/A

An ancient Latgalian settlement. During the 10th century Kraslava district was under authority of the Prince of Polotsk, but the 13th century - under the authority of the Livonian Order. Until the beginning of 18th century it existed as a manor centre. In 1729 Kraslava was bought for 1400 thalers by Johan Ludvig Plater. Plater family ruled Kraslava for two centuries. In the of the18th century Platers began construction of Krāslava palace. After first division of Poland in 1772 Latgale was annexed to Russia. Kraslava began to perish. After construction of Riga - Daugavpils - Vitebsk railway (1865) economic life flourished again. Kraslava was little affected by the World War II, therefore, early wooden buildings of 20th century remained almost untouched.

N/A

Helsinki is the capital of Finland and the biggest city in Finland. It offers a lot to see as it is seaside city surrounded by islands but city itself is full of wonderful parks. This city has everything to attract all kinds of people - from architecture and culture to nature and even has wide range of places where to enjoy night-time Helsinki.

N/A

Koguva village on Muhu island is an outstanding example of peasant architecture in Estonia. Farmsteads with dry stone walls are protected as an architectural monument. The museum complex comprises a wealthy seaside farm Tooma (Juhan Smuul, an Estonian author, was born here) with all its outbuildings and tools, a former village school and a textile exhibition.

N/A

In 1615, Courlandian Duke Friedrich Kettler (1569-1642) allowed Bauska to build a new city hall.  At the beginning of the 17th century, Market Square in Bauska featured the largest city hall in the entire duchy.  A lack of money led to the dismantling of the hall’s tower in 1852 and its second floor in 1871.  A new city hall was built in 2011, and now Bauska can be proud of a new and outstanding tourist destination that can also be entered.  The restored city hall offers a chance for people to weigh themselves and measure their height with old-time measurements.  Each person who does so receives a certificate to attest to his or her height and weight.

N/A

The wooden buildings with few floors emerged in the 19th century.  Tourists can look at typical closed yards, verandas, wooden elements and decorations.  The city suffered from fires in 1866 and 1938.  The Market Square is the historical centre of Ludza, while the Ludza castle hill dominates the region.  The streets of the city were established around the hill, which had an ancient Lettigalian wooden castle late in the 14th century.  The Livonian Order replaced with the mightiest brick castle in Latgale.  It was sacked in 1654 by the forces of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich.  The castle hill offers a lovely view of Latgale and the oldest city in Latvia and its historical centre.

N/A

 Ventspils Vecpilsētas vēsturiskais centrs. Nelielā Rātslaukuma (40 x 60 m) rietumu malā atrodas Starptautiskā rakstnieku un tulkotāju māja, kas ierīkota 18. gs. dzīvojamā ēkā ar baroka un klasicisma iezīmēm (19. gs. vidū te atradās pilsētas Rātsnams), bet austrumu malā – vēlīnā klasicisma stilā celtā evaņģēliski luteriskā Nikolaja baznīca. Iepretim baznīcai atrodas modernā stilā pārbūvētā Ventspils Galvenā bibliotēka un Digitālais centrs, kas ierīkots greznā 19. gs. savrupmājā.

N/A

Pirmo reizi vēstures avotos 1253. g. šī vieta ir minēta kā kuršu apdzīvota apmetne. Laikā no 1637. – 1639. g. te uzcēla pirmās 19 kapelas – t.s. „Krusta ceļa stacijas", kas atgādināja Jeruzalemes Krusta ceļu. Kopš tā laika Žemaišu Kalvarija ir pazīstama kā nozīmīgs svētceļnieku galamērķis. Dažas no Krusta ceļa kapelām ir veidotas 17. – 18 gs., bet citas – 19. gs. Jāatceras, ka vēl pavisam nesen – Padomju laikos svētceļniekus nežēlīgi vajāja un represēja. Mūsdienās pilsētā ir izveidots 21 svētceļnieku „pieturas punkts". Te ik gadu (parasti no 2. – 12. jūlijam) notiek Žemaišu Kalvarijas katoļu draudzes svētki, kas pulcina daudz ļaužu no dažādām Eiropas valstīm. Iespaidīgā katoļu bazilika ir slavena ar Vissvētākās Jaunavas Marijas Katoļu Ģimeņu Karalienes gleznu, kas 17. gs. atvesta no Romas. Tai piedēvē brīnumdarītājas spējas. Interesants ir pilsētas ielu tīklojums, kas atgādina 9. – 13. gs. apdzīvotas vietas ielu plānojumu. Noteikti apskatāms iespaidīgais Žemaišu Kalvarijas pilskalns, kas slejas mazās Varduvas (Varduva) upītes krastā.