No Name Description
N/A

A small settlement with a school, library and shop. North from the Vidale are visible remains of the windmill. Going towards the Gulf of Riga, the road crosses Shlitere Zilie mountain precipice with spectacular views during late autumn, early spring and winter, when there are no leaves on the trees and sandstone outcrops. To the left you can see Zilie mountain spring - a landscaped water taking place. Road that runs from the Vidale to Melnsils side, is called by the locals Knipeldambi. They say that it was built by the German army first During World War I, putting logs on the road and covering them with sand.

N/A

Palanga is known to be the biggest by-the-sea resort in Lithuania because of its seacoast's main attractions - dunes and white sand. And because Palanga is a resort there are plenty of cafes, restaurants, bars and more for those who would like to enjoy a meal or a drink, for those who like active sport - there is possibility to cycle, go horseback riding, swim and much more. 

N/A

The central part of the town of Krāslava is an historical monument because its low-story and beautiful wooden buildings. The best views of the historical centre relate to the carp park near the Adamova trail, the Karņicskis hill, the bridge across the Daugava (Prospekta Street), and the Priedaine viewing tower on the left bank of the Daugava River.

N/A

From the historical and architectural perspective, this is an interesting monument to urban construction between the 17th and 19th centuries.  Old Liepāja is in the area of the old market and Kuršu Square, where merchants sold their wares beginning in the 1560s.  Until 1792, Kuršu Square was also where punishments were implemented.  The current Pētertirgus pavilion was installed alongside the square in 1910.  A map shows that the network of streets has partly preserved the chaos of street planning that was typical in Medieval towns.

N/A

This is an urban construction monument that was created between the 17th and 19th century, and it is of national importance.  The street layout around Jelgavas and Rātūža streets forms closed blocks of buildings.  There are Lutheran, Catholic, Orthodox and Baptist churches in Jaunjelgava.  One of the most outstanding architectural monuments is City Hall, which was built in 1912 and features Art Nouveau forms.  None of the city’s five synagogues has survived.  The historical centre of Jaunjelgava features a promenade that runs along the banks of the Daugava River.  This is a popular place for strolls, leisure and swimming.

N/A

Most popular Estonian resort with wide range of leisures and SPA offers. One of the rare Estonian sandy beaches. The Old Town has the main walker street - Rüütli tee.

N/A

Sikrags is one of the oldest coastal Liv villages which as a Liv settlement was first mentioned in writings in 1387. During the 17th century Sikrags was one of the most important small ports in North Courland which was equipped with warehouses. During the manor times, large fields of crops stretched in the village, there were several barns, where crops was dried and processed. During the first half of the 20th century, active fishing took place at Sīkrags. There was so much fish, that they were pumped out of the boats with special fish pumps. During Soviet times this was one of the few villages where it was allowed to fish at the sea, therefore in 1955 a small fish-processing factory was built in the coastal dunes, which operated only for about ten years. When the plant was liquidated, the development of the village declined. Today there is no sign that would witness medieval port and active fishing activities at Sīkrags apart from the ruins of the mentioned factory.

N/A

The town of Subate was first listed in documents in 1570, when Duke Gotthard Kettler of the Duchy of Courland sold the Subāte marketplace to Count G. Plater-Sieberg. When the Plater-Sieberg dynasty converted to Catholicism in the mid-17th century, Lutherans in Subate protested by moving to the eastern bank of Lake Subate. That was the property of the Prode Estate (only ruins remain at this time), which was owned by the Osten-Sacken dynasty. In 1685, the Osten-Sackens built a Lutheran church for the “refugees,” and Jaunsubate was established around it. Both parts of the town were merged again in 1894. During Latvia’s liberation battles in 1919, Subate was liberated by Lithuanians, at which time the town was divided up between Latvia and Lithuania (though the border between the two countries was set at the previous line in 1921). The historical centre of Subate was established between the 16th and the 19th century, and it includes four churches for various congregations and low wooden buildings which stretch along narrow and curvy streets. The town is on the shores of a sub-glacial depression with Great Lake Subate and Lesser Lake Subate therein. This provides the town with unusual landscapes for Latvia.

N/A

Krustpils was first recorded in documents in 1237 in relation to the construction of the Kreutzburg castle on the right bank of the Daugava River.  A 1511 document lists it as a village.  In 1585, Polish King Stefan Báthory gifted the town to Nicholas Korff, whose family continued to own it until 1920.  Battles between Swedish and Polish forces occurred outside of Krustpils in 1626, and the sacked village was in poor shape until the mid-19th century.  Jēkabpils, in turn, was constructed as a settlement for Old Believers who were persecuted in Russia.  The Daugava has rapids opposite Krustpils and Jēkabpils, which means that boats had to dock there and reload their goods into wagons.  The settlement flourished, and in 1670 it was given the rights of a city.  It is named after Duke Jacob.  When the Rīga-Daugavpils rail line opened in 1861, Krustpils flourished, and Jēkabpils did not flourish.  The two cities were administratively merged in 1962, keeping the name of Jēkabpils.  There are typical one-story wooden buildings from the 19th century, red brick buildings built at the turn of the 20th century, as well as seven churches used by different denominations.  The dam along the left bank of the Daugava was built in 1861, and it was aimed at protecting the city against flooding.  Today it is a promenade that is popular among local residents for strolling and leisure.

N/A

Pāvilostas vecākā daļa jeb Āķagals ir tipisks 19. gs. - 20. gs. piekrastes ciema apbūves paraugs. Āķagala ielu plānojums ir regulārs un katra no tām izved vai nu jūras krastā, vai atduras pret Dzintaru ielu Sakas upes labajā krastā.

N/A

An ancient Latgalian settlement. During the 10th century Kraslava district was under authority of the Prince of Polotsk, but the 13th century - under the authority of the Livonian Order. Until the beginning of 18th century it existed as a manor centre. In 1729 Kraslava was bought for 1400 thalers by Johan Ludvig Plater. Plater family ruled Kraslava for two centuries. In the of the18th century Platers began construction of Krāslava palace. After first division of Poland in 1772 Latgale was annexed to Russia. Kraslava began to perish. After construction of Riga - Daugavpils - Vitebsk railway (1865) economic life flourished again. Kraslava was little affected by the World War II, therefore, early wooden buildings of 20th century remained almost untouched.

N/A

Saunags was first mentioned in historical sources in 1310. During the thirties of the last century largest was Nilinu farm and Kruminu ranch. During this time at Saunags 49 people was able to speak Liv language, of which only 11 used it as an everyday spoken language. In 1936, Saunaga primary school was moved from Lazhi in Vaide to Paulu house. There was a store in Saunags, the owner of which Karl Tilman owned sprat brinery. People of Saunags were fishing, as well as harvested wood at Undzhava - Shlitere at the foot of the Zilie Mountain forests. Today, during the winter time only six farms in the village is inhibited. Other people come to Saunags mainly during the summer.

N/A

Pilsētas rajons dienvidos no Ventas grīvas, kura mūsdienās redzamā mazstāvu koka apbūve sāka veidoties 19. gs. vidū. Ostgala pirmsākumi meklējami 1836. g., kad Krievijas valdība, solot priekšrocības, aicināja apkārtnes zvejniekus apdzīvot smilšaino un kustīgo kāpu pārņemto piekrastes daļu. Ostgals ir atzīts par valsts nozīmes pilsētbūvniecības pieminekli.

N/A

Dobele name in historical sources for the first time is mentioned in1254. Dobele was one of the most fortified Semigallian places; therefore from 1279 until 1289 it survived six attacks by German crusaders. In 1289 Semigallians was forced to retreat. In 1335 conquerors instead of Semigallian castle began construction of new - stone castle. On the opposite shore of Berze - on the left bank merchants and craftsmen village began to form. Town suffered greatly during the Northern War and during the subsequent plague. A significant event in the economic life was the 1927, when Liepaja-Gludas railway line was built. After World War II in Dobele and its vicinity came to the Soviet militaries, who built one of the largest Soviet tanks range "Dobele-2". Now Dobele travellers are offered a range of interesting sites to be visited.

N/A

Renda is a very old town, first mentioned in historical sources in 1230.  During the 13th century, Renda was one of the centres of the ancient Courlandian land of Vanema.  When Courland was split up in 1235, Renda was taken over by the German Order, and local residents were forcibly drafted into its military.  During the age of the Duchy of Courland (1562-1795), the region flourished despite wars, the bubonic plague and other problems, particularly during the rule of Duke Jacob (1642-1682).   During the 17th century, Renda became something of a manufacturing centre, churning out timber products, with local lime kilns, watermills, flax weaving facilities, a glass factory and a boiling house for saltpetre and soap.  Wine, perfumes and barrels were produced in Renda, as was cast iron for nails and many other things.  The court at the Jelgava Castle loved the sour wines from Renda.  All of this was destroyed during the Great Northern War (1700-1721).  During the 19th century, a chemicals factory was built on the site of the burned Renda castle, and nearby was one of the largest leather tanning plants in Kurzeme, along with a manufacturing facility for turpentine.  Cultural life began to develop in parallel to this.  Renda suffered much during the two world wars and the subsequent Soviet repressions.  The so-called Courelian Battalion of partisans went into the forests after the occupation to continue their struggle against the Soviet regime.  Renda today is a small and quiet village with the Lielrenda Estate, a local church, the “devil’s boat” at the Abava River, and the Īvande waterfalls.

N/A
Kaļķis is a populated area where dolomite is still extracted from quarries in the region (Kalnciems­2 is one such quarry). Some of the quarries are flooded.
N/A

Another ancient Livonian fishing village (Lūž in Livonian).  According to documents, the village was 4 km long in 1937 and had 36 homes and two piers for boats.  The name of Lūžņa was erased from Latvian maps during the latter half of the 20th century, because local residents were evicted by the Soviet army.  Remnants of buildings put up by the military can still be seen along with the narrow-gauge railroad station in the western part of the former village.

N/A

Ļoti skaists un ainavisks etnogrāfiskais ciems Balošas (Baluošas) ezera ziemeļu krastā, netālu no diviem iepriekš minētajiem ciemiem. Te apskatāmas interesantas un skaistas koka ēkas, kas celtas no guļbaļķiem, ar niedru vai lubiņu jumtiem un izrotātas ar dažāda veida dekoratīvajiem elementiem. Pirmo reizi rakstos Šumini minēti 1784. g. Savu vārdu ciems ieguva no kādreiz dzīvojošas ģimenes uzvārda. Kā interesantākā ir jāpiemin sena klēts.

N/A

Pirmo reizi vēstures avotos 1253. g. šī vieta ir minēta kā kuršu apdzīvota apmetne. Laikā no 1637. – 1639. g. te uzcēla pirmās 19 kapelas – t.s. „Krusta ceļa stacijas", kas atgādināja Jeruzalemes Krusta ceļu. Kopš tā laika Žemaišu Kalvarija ir pazīstama kā nozīmīgs svētceļnieku galamērķis. Dažas no Krusta ceļa kapelām ir veidotas 17. – 18 gs., bet citas – 19. gs. Jāatceras, ka vēl pavisam nesen – Padomju laikos svētceļniekus nežēlīgi vajāja un represēja. Mūsdienās pilsētā ir izveidots 21 svētceļnieku „pieturas punkts". Te ik gadu (parasti no 2. – 12. jūlijam) notiek Žemaišu Kalvarijas katoļu draudzes svētki, kas pulcina daudz ļaužu no dažādām Eiropas valstīm. Iespaidīgā katoļu bazilika ir slavena ar Vissvētākās Jaunavas Marijas Katoļu Ģimeņu Karalienes gleznu, kas 17. gs. atvesta no Romas. Tai piedēvē brīnumdarītājas spējas. Interesants ir pilsētas ielu tīklojums, kas atgādina 9. – 13. gs. apdzīvotas vietas ielu plānojumu. Noteikti apskatāms iespaidīgais Žemaišu Kalvarijas pilskalns, kas slejas mazās Varduvas (Varduva) upītes krastā.

N/A

Der älteste und größte Kurort Litauens (seit 1794). Mikroklima (Luft der Umgebungswälder), salzhaltigee Quellen, Heilschlamm. Die Altstadt ist ein städtebauliches Denkmal.